Cleaning with Muriatic Acid

BlueWorldJeff

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 16, 2016
Messages
216
Reaction score
95
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 120 glass aquarium that has been sitting in my garage since the day I drained it and move to a 180. It has old, stuck on Coralline algae deposits, calcium deposits and who knows what else. I was going to use vinegar to try to get it off, but I had to get some muriatic acid for my pool, can I use that diluted? I am going to sell the tank afterwards with the disclaimer that the silicon seals on the inside need to be redone. will the acid eat away at the silicone in the seams?
 
Yes, you can use it. It is safe on the silicone. Handle it appropriately and don't breathe the fumes. I use it all the time. Vinegar is like throwing a baseball at a 18-Wheeler whereas Muratic Acid is like throwing a freight train at it.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 6.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 16.4%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 57 34.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 6.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 11 6.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 25 15.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 7.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new