Cloudiness and bubbles in sump

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your dkh is probably about halfway between 6 and 7 so the test is showing more than 6 and less than 7. Looks slightly greenish to me so maybe a little bit closer to 7 than 6? If you used 10mil sample your results would be more accurate

tupes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post a picture of all the tools in the kit. I think yours is different than mine looking at your card. Do you have the 1ml syringe and the titration tool?

OP
OP
ReefJunkie28

ReefJunkie28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like the card from the Red Sea marine care kit not the alk pro kit
yeah it’s not the pro kit.. would some filter floss help the cloudiness? and what should I be running for carbon? I tried chemi pure blue but it got nasty, hence why I removed it. I’m also starting to get hair algae. I have reduced feedings to reduce this. should I start looking into a cuc?

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah it’s not the pro kit.. would some filter floss help the cloudiness? and what should I be running for carbon? I tried chemi pure blue but it got nasty, hence why I removed it. I’m also starting to get hair algae. I have reduced feedings to reduce this. should I start looking into a cuc?
Filter floss probably wouldn’t do anything. Cloudiness usually bacteria so moderate feeding the fish. I also don’t see a need for carbon or other resins like chemipure at this point. If you don’t have any photosynthetic organisms you can reduce light photoperiod to limit algae growth. Ammonia and nitrites were 0 so yes you could probably add a couple snails or so. With the alk in question though I would probably hold off until this issue is under better control. I would suggest mixing up some fresh salt water for at least a 25% water change. Test the new water dkh as well and see where you are at. Then water change and retest dkh on the tank.

OP
OP
ReefJunkie28

ReefJunkie28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Filter floss probably wouldn’t do anything. Cloudiness usually bacteria so moderate feeding the fish. I also don’t see a need for carbon or other resins like chemipure at this point. If you don’t have any photosynthetic organisms you can reduce light photoperiod to limit algae growth. Ammonia and nitrites were 0 so yes you could probably add a couple snails or so. With the alk in question though I would probably hold off until this issue is under better control. I would suggest mixing up some fresh salt water for at least a 25% water change. Test the new water dkh as well and see where you are at. Then water change and retest dkh on the tank.
I just did that. that’s what has started this problem. I had high nitrates. so I did what I thought was right, mixed up some saltwater for a 25% change. When doing the water change the following happened:
White very tiny spots that I first thought were bubbles started to appear, most were gone after 24 hours. figured I stirred up something. everything was good. Cloudiness lingered and still is. All my other tests came out normal. My alk. is way low... still. As I was kind of explaining before, it never turned green. only dark blue, then straight to that color above, then got more yellow as I tried to see what would happen if I continued to test... idk what to do

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just did that. that’s what has started this problem. I had high nitrates. so I did what I thought was right, mixed up some saltwater for a 25% change. When doing the water change the following happened:
White very tiny spots that I first thought were bubbles started to appear, most were gone after 24 hours. figured I stirred up something. everything was good. Cloudiness lingered and still is. All my other tests came out normal. My alk. is way low... still. As I was kind of explaining before, it never turned green. only dark blue, then straight to that color above, then got more yellow as I tried to see what would happen if I continued to test... idk what to do
The test you are using is very broad and will not give a very specific number. If you use a 5mil sample you will probably never see a green result unless your dkh is a whole number ... 6.0,7.0,8.0 etc. if it’s anything other than that you will have blue then some sort of yellow/green shade. You can go to the 10mil sample and get a more accurate measure but that will only give you a .5 resolution 6,6.5,7,7.5 etc. Mix up some new water and test dkh on that I think bubbles and cloudiness etc are only coincidence to your prior water change

JACKS REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nuvo 40 is the tank
Test Results:

02/13/2020
  • N02 (nitrite)- 0
  • N03 (nitrate)- 5
  • NH3/NH4(ammonia) - 0.2
  • kh (Alk.)- 2.0
  • ph - 8.4
  • salinity - 1.024
  • temp - 77.5°F
Tank got cloudy after I took my Chemi-pure blue out. I added it after I cycled my tank, Nitrates rose and the cloudiness came with it. so I did a water change. Now the cloudiness won’t go away, and i’ve got bubbles in the sump. anyone help?

518EC6DC-B533-4943-9333-20E1486131A0.jpeg 0C8D4AFF-0342-4D66-AE8C-7F19170AA3FC.jpeg
If the clouds don’t go away I would recommend getting a UV sterilizer. Or over the next couple weeks do lots of water changes.

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your opening post stated nitrates at 5 (ppm I assume) 5ppm isn’t very high. If it’s 5 after a 25% water change it was probably around 7-8 prior, which also isn’t very high.

OP
OP
ReefJunkie28

ReefJunkie28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your opening post stated nitrates at 5 (ppm I assume) 5ppm isn’t very high. If it’s 5 after a 25% water change it was probably around 7-8 prior, which also isn’t very high.
What are you using to measure salinity? And what kind of water are you using to mix the new salt?
a refractometer that I have calibrated with calibration liquid and RODI water.

OP
OP
ReefJunkie28

ReefJunkie28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you using to measure salinity? And what kind of water are you using to mix the new salt?
is it possible the white specs I’m seeing are undissolved salt? I mixed for 2 1/2 hours. just like I had done before when I started the tank. only this time in a 5 gal bucket. so it was a 4 gal water change

Back