Cloudy water over a month now.

Danroo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning to everyone.

I’ll start with my tank being 6 months old now it’s a 20 gallon FOWLR tank with only a hob filter for the filtration. My parameters the last week I checked were

salinity: 1.022
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 2
Phosphate: 0.03
Temp: 78F
Calcium: 390
Magnesium: 1260
Alkalinity: 8.2

test kits: salifert

livestock: 2 clownfish, 2 Bengai cardinals, orchid dottyback. Cleaner shrimp. Red brittle star. 3 trochus snails. 3 hermit crabs.

Feeding: only rinsed mysis shrimp once a day which would be gone in 3-4 bites.

I started with dry rock and live sand. My nitrates and phosphates have been constant after I have replaced 2 HOB filters after my tank has been cycled. Both were aqueon one was more powerful than the others.

I was replacing cartridges which also brought in the cloudiness. Would be constant after that because of the removal of beneficial bacteria

3 weeks ago I gave in with the removal of this cartridge and bought a tidal cause I also needed the surface skimming. The beneficial bacteria did form on the matrix but I feel like it’s not enough to get outcompete the cloudiness and ordered fritz turbo ( will arrive on Tuesday).

It has been a month since I did a water change due to phosphate and nitrate being constant and yesterday I added filter floss.

so my question is. Is there a lack of biological filtration?

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you rinse both your dry rock and sand? It is almost essential that you do so. I have live rock and some dry rock and dry sand in my tank. I forgot to rinse the dry sand which plagued me to this day and I rinsed the dry rock which made a world of difference in cloudiness in the bucket while rinsing then in the tank.

Upvote 0

acanman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you rinse both your dry rock and sand? It is almost essential that you do so. I have live rock and some dry rock and dry sand in my tank. I forgot to rinse the dry sand which plagued me to this day and I rinsed the dry rock which made a world of difference in cloudiness in the bucket while rinsing then in the tank.
He said he was using live sand so there would be no reason to wash it. And it comes with the little packets in each bag to help clear your water

Upvote 0

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He said he was using live sand so there would be no reason to wash it. And it comes with the little packets in each bag to help clear your water
Didn’t catch the live sand part. Still wondering about that dry rock though because it still can be a reason

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Danroo

Danroo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t rinse my my dry rock nor the live sand. There was no cloudiness in the first few months it started after my tank has been cycled or I would replace the cartridge which holds the bacteria from fritz turbostart. Now I just replaced the whole filter. The cloudiness isn’t severe as I first started my tank.

Upvote 0

acanman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started a 250 gallon with all dry rock besides 20 lbs and didn't wash it, I forgot lol and it's been running for about a week and it was crystal clear after adding the live sand and opening the packets they come with to clear the water. But I do have alot more filtration than he does I wouldn't think dry rock would keep his tank dirty for that long

Upvote 0

acanman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No the bacteria also will cling to the rocks in the sand ect it's not that. I mean when yoy change out your media ya it will get a little cloudy especially on a smaller tank but it should clear up especially you set your skimmer to skim wetter

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Danroo

Danroo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You using a skimmer? And add some carbon till it clears up
The only equipment is the tidal. The aqueon cartridge already had carbon in it. But still had the same cloudiness before switching to tidal.

Upvote 0

acanman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idk what tidal is im guessing a hob filter? I'd add a hob skimmer and I bet money your tank will clear up

Upvote 0

One Breath 808

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning to everyone.

I’ll start with my tank being 6 months old now it’s a 20 gallon FOWLR tank with only a hob filter for the filtration. My parameters the last week I checked were

salinity: 1.022
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 2
Phosphate: 0.03
Temp: 78F
Calcium: 390
Magnesium: 1260
Alkalinity: 8.2

test kits: salifert

livestock: 2 clownfish, 2 Bengai cardinals, orchid dottyback. Cleaner shrimp. Red brittle star. 3 trochus snails. 3 hermit crabs.

Feeding: only rinsed mysis shrimp once a day which would be gone in 3-4 bites.

I started with dry rock and live sand. My nitrates and phosphates have been constant after I have replaced 2 HOB filters after my tank has been cycled. Both were aqueon one was more powerful than the others.

I was replacing cartridges which also brought in the cloudiness. Would be constant after that because of the removal of beneficial bacteria

3 weeks ago I gave in with the removal of this cartridge and bought a tidal cause I also needed the surface skimming. The beneficial bacteria did form on the matrix but I feel like it’s not enough to get outcompete the cloudiness and ordered fritz turbo ( will arrive on Tuesday).

It has been a month since I did a water change due to phosphate and nitrate being constant and yesterday I added filter floss.

so my question is. Is there a lack of biological filtration?
Is it cloudy from a bacteria bloom or from yiu removing things? My tank was cloudy from bacteria bloom and I added a UV Sterilizer and now my water is crystal clear.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Danroo

Danroo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it cloudy from a bacteria bloom or from yiu removing things? My tank was cloudy from bacteria bloom and I added a UV Sterilizer and now my water is crystal clear.
I’m not sure anymore. The cloudiness is constant I haven’t done any water changes only topping off. The only equipment I keep changing in these months is the HOB filter haven’t even touched the inside of the tank.

Upvote 0
Back