Clove polyps dying?

Austin Weinerman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About two months ago, I picked up this clove polyp frag from a discount rack. They weren’t in the best shape (tons of algae covering the base), but my dad offered to buy it for me because he liked it so much so I didn’t turn it down :) since then, they have been doing great. The large chunks of algae that were on the base were gone within a couple weeks, they open every day, and growth has been awesome. Within the past week or two, I noticed that it wasn’t doing so well only in one particular area right in front. First, only one polyp stopped opening & shriveled up, then another, and now a third. You can see in the second picture the three stems that have shrunken down. Besides these three, all other polyps are doing great & it continues to expand onto the rock behind it. Recently, I added another powerhead to my tank so maybe that has something to do with this as it adjusts to the slightly higher flow. All other corals are happy (various mushrooms, pipe organ, gorgonian, tons of zoas, cyphastrea, and newly added torch & lobo). I spot feed all coral 2x per week with reef roids & do weekly water changes of about 15%. Parameters are as follows:
Salinity: 1.024
Calcium: 440
Magnesium: 1350
Alkalinity: 11
Phosphates: 0.25
Ammonia: 0
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: 10
Any suggestions on what it could be or if anyone has had experiences with something like this before would be helpful! Thank you!

D8371B4E-9111-4627-BBAD-38D02A559117.jpeg

B017AD61-225A-478E-9B5F-FB998224DCDB.jpeg

Last edited:

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience, they can be silly grumpy at times.
I’ve moved some and not had them come out for a week or more.

Keep an eye on them. If the sick polyps begin to degrade , move the colony. Try a different flow and more light.
They take a very wide range of light.

OP
OP
A

Austin Weinerman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience, they can be silly grumpy at times.
I’ve moved some and not had them come out for a week or more.

Keep an eye on them. If the sick polyps begin to degrade , move the colony. Try a different flow and more light.
They take a very wide range of light.
Hm ok I’ll keep an eye on it. Unfortunately, I don’t think I could move the colony since it has already latched onto the rock behind it. I will try adjusting some lights & flow if things get worse.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try not to mess with the system for one coral if you can.

Overall, that colony looks really happy.

Sonnyred

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve lost a frag about the same size to that when I did a 3 day light out. I just picked up another frag and will try it again. Clove are pretty sensitive I say

OP
OP
A

Austin Weinerman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve lost a frag about the same size to that when I did a 3 day light out. I just picked up another frag and will try it again. Clove are pretty sensitive I say
That’s interesting. They definitely do seem pretty sensitive. It’s weird for me because I had a Xenia that was in this tank for about 5 months and doubled in size & never had any problems. I just recently moved it to my seahorse tank where it is still doing well. I know some people say that certain tanks can’t grow Xenia for some reason, but mine did fine, so I’m wondering how my Xenia could’ve done so well while my cloves are withering away since they are so similar. Oh well, I’m glad to know I’m not the only one who has gone through this weird thing :)

Sonnyred

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im sure we are not the only people losing some clove here and there. With this new frag of cloves I have it at medium level of the tank and with medium flow and so far so good. I wish you luck with yours

taxiem

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a rather large frag of clove polyps approx 6" x 6" while i did initially get a couple of dodgy looking polyps around the edges, on the whole it seems to be doing fantastic in medium flow, moderate/high light :D

One of the polyps that looked a little dodgy floated off and has now attached elsewhere and is looking like its doing great :D xx

coralcoralcoral10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a rather large frag of clove polyps approx 6" x 6" while i did initially get a couple of dodgy looking polyps around the edges, on the whole it seems to be doing fantastic in medium flow, moderate/high light :D

One of the polyps that looked a little dodgy floated off and has now attached elsewhere and is looking like its doing great :D xx
Anyone ever have your urchins all
Over your clove polyp and it looks dead. Any tips on how to revive

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 28.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 35.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 26.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 7.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.8%
Back