Clown fish divorce HELP

Devnix

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have an established tank that has been up about 8 months we moved the tank to my new house and since then my clowns have divorced. I have one at the front of my tank now and one at the back of my tank. This is very depressing as they are super expensive and they were together before now. Does anyone have ideas to get them together again and would me adding and anemone to the tank help them? Im so bummed.

Yuki Rihwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will find each other after they are few comfy with new tank, buying an anemone won't help because it's not guarantee that they will join the anemone and in many cases you might have or don't have a right setup to keep an anemone alive, just leave them be and they will work themselves out.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The other possibility is that they have both gone female.....and if that's the case, clownfish don't do well with same sex marriages. If they start to fight, pull one out.

Mr.Rocc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They would already be fighting if they were both females. Go to your tank like an hour after the lights are off and see their behavior. If one is just aimlessly swimming, its getting picked on!

MaddyP

'Til Reefdom Come...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the forum!

I've ran into this a few times, almost always they pair back up if they were paired to begin with.

SDReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I moved a pair of clowns from a 16 gallon nano to a 110 gallon stock tank. They don't swim together as close as they used to, but they "sleep" near each other at night.

Wesley42079

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can purchase this breeder box from Petco/PetSmart and place both of them inside for a week. Eventually, they will repair up again.

Breeder box.jpg

dansreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let them be. They will find themselves. Putting a nem.... or a fuzzy mushroom or two... or even a nice hammer colony... could get them to host... Mine took to the nems almost right away. They had never had seen a nem until I put one in the tank. I have had the clowns since they were very small. They hosted together in a large hammer colony I had in another tank. When I moved them into the much larger tank they are in now... they were lost at first. They found each other... but then really started doing well when I put the first nem in... a nice sunset bubble tip. They took to it no issue.

OP
OP
Devnix

Devnix

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok when my light is off it’s the same thing. I have I’m the front of the tank and one in the back. I NEVER see them fighting they just don’t hang out anymore. They were literally ALWAYS together before the move and they are 120 dollar a piece. Lol i need to find that marriage councelor in Cali because this is not making me happy I’m actuallh super bummed and the tank is good for a bta
You can purchase this breeder box from Petco/PetSmart and place both of them inside for a week. Eventually, they will repair up again.

Breeder box.jpg
i will try this I’ll go to petco tonight

OP
OP
Devnix

Devnix

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let them be. They will find themselves. Putting a nem.... or a fuzzy mushroom or two... or even a nice hammer colony... could get them to host... Mine took to the nems almost right away. They had never had seen a nem until I put one in the tank. I have had the clowns since they were very small. They hosted together in a large hammer colony I had in another tank. When I moved them into the much larger tank they are in now... they were lost at first. They found each other... but then really started doing well when I put the first nem in... a nice sunset bubble tip. They took to it no issue

OP
OP
Devnix

Devnix

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going to try everything i can the one in the back seems totally lost and I’m sad for them

dansreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going to try everything i can the one in the back seems totally lost and I’m sad for them

Be careful. You can cause more stress on them by trying to help. Let them just be. Feed them. Don't make things worse by trying to catch them and placing them in a box... IMHO

OP
OP
Devnix

Devnix

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the female just sits in the back at least i think she is the female she is the bigger of the two and the other one swims around the front that one seems fine

OP
OP
Devnix

Devnix

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be careful. You can cause more stress on them by trying to help. Let them just be. Feed them. Don't make things worse by trying to catch them and placing them in a box... IMHO
ok i wont do that yet i will try and just add the nem and see if that works my fish guy told me that if i put a nem in there it will kill my other fish which scared me too

GK3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
How long have they been in the new spot? When I brought my pair home and when I gave them a nem, the female dominated and put the male in the corner for a week or so. Now they are inseparable again.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back