Devnix

Devnix

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of nem...?
I want to get a bta for them i have wanted too forever but my fish guy told me it would sting and kill my other fish so i haven’t yet. I want to get a bta and then hope and prey they host it. Would be great to see baby clown fish in my tank

OP
OP
Devnix

Devnix

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They
I want to get a bta for them i have wanted too forever but my fish guy told me it would sting and kill my other fish so i haven’t yet. I want to get a bta and then hope and prey they host it. Would be great to see baby clown fish in my tank
have only been in the new house for 3 days

GK3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

I don’t think that is great information. I have 3 bta in my display with a blenny, wrase, basket, diamond goby, and both clowns. All the other fish totally know not to go into the nem and none have been stung. Go get your BTA it’ll be fine.

When you do get it and your female starts being hosted, she won’t let the male in right away, but eventually she will.

OP
OP
Devnix

Devnix

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think that is great information. I have 3 bta in my display with a blenny, wrase, basket, diamond goby, and both clowns. All the other fish totally know not to go into the nem and none have been stung. Go get your BTA it’ll be fine.

When you do get it and your female starts being hosted, she won’t let the male in right away, but eventually she will.
I am so glad i found this forum because i was so upset he told me no nem. I have two beautiful clowns and they need a nem lol. Plus maybe if he buys her a new house the female will love him again :p

GK3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I am so glad i found this forum because i was so upset he told me no nem. I have two beautiful clowns and they need a nem lol. Plus maybe if he buys her a new house the female will love him again :p

You can ask your fish guy, but I am pretty sure clown fish do not follow the male/female socioeconomic dynamics that humans do, but ya never know.

Post a pick when you get the nem.

OP
OP
Devnix

Devnix

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can ask your fish guy, but I am pretty sure clown fish do not follow the male/female socioeconomic dynamics that humans do, but ya never know.

Post a pick when you get the nem.
Lol i was just kidding with that post lol. But I’ll post a pic

OP
OP
Devnix

Devnix

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so i checked my tank when i changed my lighting to night and they are still separate. I did notice them interact a bit today but still same thing. She goes to the back and he stays up from and now with the light off they are still her in the back of the tank him in the front. I am going to go get a bta on Monday fingers crossed they decide to host and even more crossed that they pair up again. I do have one other question. Down the line i was wondering can i add two clowns of a different species or will they all still fight. Someone told me i could turn my smaller tank into a clown tank with two separate pairs two separate species is this true as well or will these guys always fight. You guys are amazing thank you so very much for all your help.

dansreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
....before you rush out and get a bta... you may want to share some tank details.... there are a lot of people here on R2R that can give you some great advice.

How big? How old? What kind of lighting? Can you also share some pictures? Do you test your water parameters? If so, which ones?

Sorry, I don’t mean to be porochial, but all this is important before you spend a lot of money on a bubble tip nem. Also, when you do go to buy one, make sure it is a bubble tip and not something else. There are some news that can and will eat fish. BTAs are pretty safe. You can also get some colors for fairly reasonable prices.

OP
OP
Devnix

Devnix

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
....before you rush out and get a bta... you may want to share some tank details.... there are a lot of people here on R2R that can give you some great advice.

How big? How old? What kind of lighting? Can you also share some pictures? Do you test your water parameters? If so, which ones?

Sorry, I don’t mean to be porochial, but all this is important before you spend a lot of money on a bubble tip nem. Also, when you do go to buy one, make sure it is a bubble tip and not something else. There are some news that can and will eat fish. BTAs are pretty safe. You can also get some colors for fairly reasonable prices.
I am totally fine with all the questions and extremely grateful for all the help. I will snap some pictures of everything i have and yes i have a refractometor and a water test kit and i use all of it. The tank has been up for over a year. All has been well I’ll get you all the specs the only equipment i have an issue with is my cyclone skimmer that thing is the bane of my existence

OP
OP
Devnix

Devnix

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have they been in the new spot? When I brought my pair home and when I gave them a nem, the female dominated and put the male in the corner for a week or so. Now they are inseparable again.
I have only been in the new place about 4 days

OP
OP
Devnix

Devnix

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am just having a million issues since I moved. I bought a cyclone 100 skimmer and its giving me nothing but issues i cant seem to get it dialed in, and it produces a crazy amount of microbubbles i cant seem to stop and then there is the clown fish divorce. But other than that my fish are doing great they all seem good no issues other than my favorite two seem to be legally separated at the moment lol and the dumb micro bubbles

dansreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have only been in the new place about 4 days

How did you move your tank? Did you use exactly all the same rock, sand....water? Were you able to maintain temp.....etc... to keep things from getting funky? I wouldn't recommend buying anything until your equipment is working correctly (skimmer) and that you have a week or so to watch your water parameters. Nems can be very finicky... and are not very tolerant of swings in parameters. You should be monitoring salinity, PH, Ammonia, Nitrites, Nitrates.... During your move.... something could have gotten out of whack... ie your denitrifying bacteria... and you could see a mini or even a full cycle happen. If this happens.... you will need to address that to keep your existing livestock alive.

The last move I had with a tank.... I removed all of the sand, rock, water... livestock... I thought the reassembly would go without a hitch. Put it all together and had a mini cycle. Total move time was about a full day... maybe a few hours longer. And in the time.... the sand and rocks in the buckets had an issue and I must have lost some denitrifying bacteria. For you... I would monitor things. Be prepared to do some water changes...if needed.

Give your tank and the livestock time to settle into their new place. Then....and only then... think about adding a BTA.

erk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 to dansreef's advice. Remain calm and just give the tank time. Worst comes to worst, you can take one of the clowns and trade them in for a small younger clown and try to get the female to pair again. If you move too fast and try to brute force solve what you perceive as problems, you can destroy your tank.

OP
OP
Devnix

Devnix

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my clowns are back together YAY and I just checked all my water parameters and they are excellent. Which is awesome.

OP
OP
Devnix

Devnix

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have also learned that the people that work in the Petco fish department think they went to saltwater college. Can anyone tell me can you put flame angles in a reef tank or do they have to be with only smooth rock I have to know if this guy is crazy since they are technically reef safe other than they nibble corals

OP
OP
Devnix

Devnix

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was told by the Petco guy I could never put them in a reef tank because they are rock dwellers and have to have smooth rock. I have NEVER heard this in my life

erk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flame angels are not rock dwellers. They are fine in a reef tank if you care more about the fish than the coral. They will more than likely start nibbling/eating corals at some point. You can try to offset this by feeding often, but that will probably only delay the inevitable. There are other angels that are less likely to switch to corals. Coral Beauty is one such species. I have one of these and it spends most of its time browsing the rocks and picking at algae and sponges.

OP
OP
Devnix

Devnix

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was told i couldn’t get flame angels or coral beauties because they need smooth rock only.

OP
OP
Devnix

Devnix

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Otherwise he said they will i injure themselves and damage their eyes and die that’s what the guy said last night i think he thought i was an idiot and treated me as such. Then tried to make me feel stupid.

Back