Clown fish fighting

Haileyclown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone,
I recently just bought my first salt water tank from a guy in my area and 2 clown fish. The tank has been running for about 2 weeks now, however the 2 clownfish just started chasing constantly all day today. The seller told me he bought them from a place that had bonded them already and then he had them for almost a year…
The clownfish are pretty close to the same size. One is a tad smaller, however he’s the one causing all the problems!!
my female had been content all day and he has constantly chased her and aggravated her to fight back. Now they are both fighting and both submitting. I haven’t seen any injuries yet, but it’s concerning it’s been going on this long and I can’t find any answers online that deal with them male causing issues.
let me know what you think!!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the "bonded" pair I bought from a friend were legitimately a bonded pair (he had them for over a year and I've had them now for a year). Seems odd that they would revert to fighting. Is there anything going on in the tank (water parameters, etc.) that might be aggravating them?

OP
OP
H

Haileyclown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I contacted my seller and he told me the fish were definitely bonded and at least 2 years old now and never had problems. The size of these clown fish are pretty similar. I obviously have a bigger one which I would assume is the female. I’m wondering if they are just wanting to start breeding? It just happened recently (past 2 days of chasing and nipping). I added a new rock to the tank so maybe they are upset about it and being territorial? They host the area where my heater is and where I placed the rock near. My tank has been running perfectly with levels and I just did a water change this week
they live in a fluval 13.5 but I don’t know why this would be a problem now? I upgraded my filtration to run better from the last owner of them as well.
It is just concerning because the smaller one will chase the female and nip, but as soon as she turns on him, he submits… 2seconds later when she turns back around, he darts at her again?!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 143 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back