Clown fish is just laying around

hawkbait

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So we have two picasso clown fish named Freckle Finn and Doodaad. Well we just added a six line wrasse (named Gras like Mardi Gras) a few days ago. I saw the wrasse nip at our clowns yesterday after I did a water change and things were a little crazy in the tank. Poor Freckle Finn was just laying around this morning in the rock. I don't see any discoloration or anything like that. My salinity is normal 1.025 my other parameters are normal I don't have the numbers I took yesterday. I'm just worried about the little guy.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stress reaction. Might have to re-home the wrasse before it does damage.

Gernader

Reefing is a never-ending addiction...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
It happens to many of us. Six line wrasses can be very aggressive and should be avoided.

OP
OP
hawkbait

hawkbait

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw him nip once and only because the clowns came close to his little cave, due to my cleaning yesterday. I sat and watched for several hours yesterday. I like the wrasse he darts around but my boys have been day one, I'm going to monitor for a little while and see what happens see if I Have to rehome the wrasse.

TriggersAmuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see that your tank is pretty new, and you also just added another fish, albeit a small one. Have you tested for any ammonia spikes since adding the six-line? Clowns are pretty tough customers when it comes to handling new tank syndrome conditions, but I just wanted to make sure we weren't jumping the gun on pronouncing the six-line guilty until ruling out the other factors.

TriggersAmuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fair enough. I have also had squirrelly (aggressive) six lines in the past. If you do rehome the sixline you may want to consider the smaller, much more peaceful cryptic/pink streak wrasse, though it is harder to find in the shops. Or possum or Tanaka wrasses.

OP
OP
hawkbait

hawkbait

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to try to either go pink streak or a fairy wrasse and a springer damsel for the pest control.

JustTheGirlfriend

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to try to either go pink streak or a fairy wrasse and a springer damsel for the pest control.

I've heard damsels are pretty aggressive too... But my two cents experience - I love my Possum Wrasse. He's my most active tank mate over my clown and bicolor blenny. Constantly swimming everywhere checking things out snagging a few copepods here and there. Doesn't bother any tankmates and super handsome too IMO :)

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 16 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 10.0%
Back