Clown pairing problems

fishnchip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

So I've had my clowns for almost a year and I wouldn't say they have officially bonded yet. One is noticeably bigger than the other but the smaller one won't submit. I'm thinking the issue is coming from the anemone I have. The smaller male will host it but the larger female will not and so the male defends it and it's kind of his safe spot where the female doesn't go.

Wondering if I should remove the nem and give them some time to figure themselves out?

Thanks #reefsquad

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, usually it's the opposite, and female usually takes nem and refuses male to enter.
I'd assume if they got along for a year they would be male and female, but are you certain?

Post pics and give details on size at purchase time.

I don't think a time out or anything would do much, and I would not disturb the anemone

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of clownfish?

If percs or false percs.
Clowns are weird, if there is no damage to either fish , they will probably sort it out on their own. Another possibility would be rehoming the male for a day to an acclimation box.
Caveat would be if both transitioned to female, then they will never pair.
Other clowns can be harder to pair so will leave that to more experienced keepers.

OP
OP
fishnchip

fishnchip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the best picture I could get with them side by side.
IMG_33D48F073C27-1.jpeg

OP
OP
fishnchip

fishnchip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, usually it's the opposite, and female usually takes nem and refuses male to enter.
I'd assume if they got along for a year they would be male and female, but are you certain?

Post pics and give details on size at purchase time.

I don't think a time out or anything would do much, and I would not disturb the anemone
When I got them they were both close to an inch. The mocha was a little bigger than the black storm and she has since grown much quicker.

OP
OP
fishnchip

fishnchip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of clownfish?

If percs or false percs.
Clowns are weird, if there is no damage to either fish , they will probably sort it out on their own. Another possibility would be rehoming the male for a day to an acclimation box.
Caveat would be if both transitioned to female, then they will never pair.
Other clowns can be harder to pair so will leave that to more experienced keepers.
Yeah i thought maybe somehow they both transitioned to female but being that I got them at close to the same size and the mocha has grown much quicker and is noticeably bigger now, I figured she was the female keeping the other a male

OP
OP
fishnchip

fishnchip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And they seem to go through rough patches. Sometimes they act as if they're paired, twitching and hanging in the same corner, while other times the smaller one gets a little bold going after the larger mocha

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, while it's not the most typical behavior for male to take over nem(I assume the lower left darker one is male as it looks smaller in that pic) at least they are not fighting, so I'd let it ride out.

Often as they mature and reach spawning age they may scrap a bit again, but afterwards they will usually both be in host nem and inseparable.

OP
OP
fishnchip

fishnchip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, while it's not the most typical behavior for male to take over nem(I assume the lower left darker one is male as it looks smaller in that pic) at least they are not fighting, so I'd let it ride out.

Often as they mature and reach spawning age they may scrap a bit again, but afterwards they will usually both be in host nem and inseparable.
They do fight and bite each other's fins although it's nothing too bad as neither have any damage to their fins.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 34 30.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 40 35.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.5%
Back