Clown trigger fish

Bj’s Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m just curious as to if any of you have kept clown trigger fish in your reef. If so what has been your experience with them?

alton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a baby they are great. When they get 6" and start to create havoc and a ton of waste that they become a problem. I started my first saltwater tank because of a clown trigger
baby ctrigger 96w cfl (2).jpg

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the fish. They're hit & miss. You really dont know what the heck you have until they're bigger. It could be pretty chill or you could wake up to a tank full of dead fish. I've seen some psychos that would try to rip your fingers off

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a Clown, Assasi, Sargassum and Blueline along with 10 other fish in my reef with all kinds of corals and have zero issues with any of them. My tank is a mixed reef with all types of corals with a majority of them being acros. The Sargassum has been in my current tank for over 4 years, the Assasi around 3 years, the Clown almost 3 years and the Blueline being the last fish added a little over a year ago. I've had triggers in all my tanks for the last few decades. Whether a reef tank or a fowlr. My snails and hermits have learned to only come out when the lights have turned off and the triggers are sleeping in there caves.
20200429_181252.jpg
20200429_181243.jpg
20200421_173007.jpg

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a Clown, Assasi, Sargassum and Blueline along with 10 other fish in my reef with all kinds of corals and have zero issues with any of them. My tank is a mixed reef with all types of corals with a majority of them being acros. The Sargassum has been in my current tank for over 4 years, the Assasi around 3 years, the Clown almost 3 years and the Blueline being the last fish added a little over a year ago. I've had triggers in all my tanks for the last few decades. Whether a reef tank or a fowlr. My snails and hermits have learned to only come out when the lights have turned off and the triggers are sleeping in there caves.
20200429_181252.jpg
20200429_181243.jpg
20200421_173007.jpg

@HB AL has a beautiful tank with an awesome collection, BUT be forewarned, this is one in a million.

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be or just decades of experience with triggers and there different personalities and attitudes.

Either way those triggers look awesome

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20200429_181252.jpg
20200429_181243.jpg
20200421_173007.jpg

Sorry for the slight diversion, but is that a maroon clown? Didn't know they got so thick as they grew. Very nice.

Smarkow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one. It was one of my favorite fish ever. I had him when my wife and I were just dating and she named him Picasso. While I love tangs and bright colors my wife loves ugly looking fish and inverts. Well... I had some inverts in the tank that were well established when we added Picasso - while he was young. He didn’t bother any of the crabs, stars or snails. One day the wife and I came home from the fish store with some new filter feeding crabs and serpent stars and added them to the tank. Picasso went HAM on them... Instant feeding frenzy... or at least it would have been a feeding frenzy if he stopped to eat. But he just killed and spit out starfish legs and crab claws. We managed to somehow catch him and get him into the sump. Decided to keep the inverts, and our LFS (The Coral Reef in Perrysburg, OH) gave us some store credit to rehome him. My wife refers to the incident as “the oak alley massacre” (street name). It’s just nature, their raison d’etre. But still... sad about that fish and that day :/

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the slight diversion, but is that a maroon clown? Didn't know they got so thick as they grew. Very nice.
Ya that's a gold striped maroon I've had almost 4 years, doesnt leave the duncan colony unless its feeding time. Really all my fish are solid and healthy with all the food they get. He even wards off the triggers when they go by his duncan colony.

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya that's a gold striped maroon I've had almost 4 years, doesnt leave the duncan colony unless its feeding time. Really all my fish are solid and healthy with all the food they get. He even wards off the triggers when they go by his duncan colony.
Awesome, I recently picked up a tiny gold dot. Knew they got big, but I assumed they kept the same proportions as they grew. Looking forward to my little guy getting that big.
Okay, diversion over. Will be lurking because I also really like clown Triggers.

OP
OP
Bj’s Reef

Bj’s Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the replies so far. My life has a tiny 1.5 clown trigger for sale that’s really been on my mind. I keep telling myself not to get it. However clown trigger fish have been my favorite salt water fish since I can remember.

Smarkow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the replies so far. My life has a tiny 1.5 clown trigger for sale that’s really been on my mind. I keep telling myself not to get it. However clown trigger fish have been my favorite salt water fish since I can remember.
I guess this begs more to your reefing philosophy... if you can’t keep your favorite fish, change your tank so that you can? My wife and I decided we liked the shrimp and starfish more than the trigger, so we went that route. But you can have a reef tank with a trigger as long as you accept your CUC may be on the menu.

Happy reefing

OP
OP
Bj’s Reef

Bj’s Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I moved a little too slow. I went back to my lfs and the little clown tang was sold. I’m told they may have another one next week. So I guess I will be hanging out at the store next week just in case one comes in.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back