Clownfish blisters

novatoad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
27CB8962-2ABC-46FD-9B4F-CF32E9D08544.jpeg

2 nights ago my clownfish were fighting…grabbing gills and locking mouths. Yesterday one was stuck to the filter. I put one in a hatchery and he laid on his side all night. Today he is swimming around fine but he has these blisters around his mouth. Is this fighting wounds or some disease? Didn’t have them until the fights.

Reeflix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
could be either, i wouldnt know. i am sure some of the experts will tell you:)

Reeflix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that also might me violent for clownfish,(i dont know, my clowns fish a little bit but that much, i dont know if that amount of fighting is normal, dont do this until someone confirms this) might want to keep them apart until they get nicer with each other.

OP
OP
novatoad

novatoad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might get rid of the other. This is the second one he attacked. The first one was fine for about 4 months then he killed him and this was one was fine for about the same amount before he was attacked…

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
27CB8962-2ABC-46FD-9B4F-CF32E9D08544.jpeg

2 nights ago my clownfish were fighting…grabbing gills and locking mouths. Yesterday one was stuck to the filter. I put one in a hatchery and he laid on his side all night. Today he is swimming around fine but he has these blisters around his mouth. Is this fighting wounds or some disease? Didn’t have them until the fights.
Unfortunately, this is a result of clownfish hierarchy where the female clownfish are much more dominant than the males. They become greedy and try to eat most of the food that enters the tank (which is one reason the males don't grow as large). They often become aggressive to protect their home which may be an anemone, a nesting area, or the entire tank. If it attacks your hand when you're trying to clean the glass or it won't let any other fish near its zone, you likely have a female clown. Often if you separate the female for a week or two into an acclimation box or sump, there may be a change in her behavior, and you will quickly see the male come out in the open
The mouth will heal on its own but take some time and isolation was the best thing you could do. IF it becomes infected, it will need to be quarantined and treated with Maracyn 2 or Seachem kanaplex

Last edited:

Nemo&Friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you get a replacement, make sure the new one you buy is much smaller than the one you have. It will avoid fight, as the smaller one will most likely be submissive and become the male.
I am guessing the blister are the results of the locking jaws and the fight, but You need someone else to confirm it.You may have to treat with med, if it become infected. Clown can be very aggressive and kill each other.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Make sure to give the poor lil guy something to hide in while he's in there. He doesn't need any further stress.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 127 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back