Clownfish breeding- what the heck do I do?

Melia

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 30, 2017
Messages
47
Reaction score
12
What state or country do you live in
Hawaii
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I first started my reef tank in October 2017, with two clownfish and a damsel, and now (February 2018) I have the same two clowns, same damsel, with an addition of a Valentini puffer and two chromis.
My clown fish have always been like a cute little couple, I’ve never seen them fight and one is bigger than the other, so I know that one is a female. They always are close to one another and sleep in the same areas.
I want to breed the clownfish, but I have no idea where to start. I lowered my salinity levels, and keep the lights on almost 14 hours a day to stimulate breeding season, but I don’t see them doing anything. How can I get them to breed?

E0FE5EFD-AC21-43F1-A3E6-E88A526F644A.jpeg
 
They have to be old enough. Female should be around age 2 or more. Enhancing the feeding significantly helps as well at the interventions you've already taken.
 
Yep, age is the factor here, that and patience, but they should get there, even w/out any kind of encouragement from you.
Meanwhile, if you really want to learn about what you need to do it properly I'd suggest reading Joyce Wilkerson's book "Clownfishes"
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 10 45.5%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 7 31.8%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 11 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 31.8%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new