Clownfish breeding- what the heck do I do?

Melia

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I first started my reef tank in October 2017, with two clownfish and a damsel, and now (February 2018) I have the same two clowns, same damsel, with an addition of a Valentini puffer and two chromis.
My clown fish have always been like a cute little couple, I’ve never seen them fight and one is bigger than the other, so I know that one is a female. They always are close to one another and sleep in the same areas.
I want to breed the clownfish, but I have no idea where to start. I lowered my salinity levels, and keep the lights on almost 14 hours a day to stimulate breeding season, but I don’t see them doing anything. How can I get them to breed?

E0FE5EFD-AC21-43F1-A3E6-E88A526F644A.jpeg

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have to be old enough. Female should be around age 2 or more. Enhancing the feeding significantly helps as well at the interventions you've already taken.

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, age is the factor here, that and patience, but they should get there, even w/out any kind of encouragement from you.
Meanwhile, if you really want to learn about what you need to do it properly I'd suggest reading Joyce Wilkerson's book "Clownfishes"

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back