Clownfish Breeding with Brine Shrimp

Tim250504

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello tonight my clownfish fry hatch and I want to feed the larvae with brine shrimp. How long the brine shrimp have nutrients? Can I put them into the fridge to "keep the nutrients into the brine shrimp"? How many brine shrimp do I need for around 100 larvae in a 3 gallon tank?

Pete Luna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Need a lot, 100 fry in a 3 gal tank, you’ll struggle to control the ammonia.

SDK

Reef Diver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Larval clownfish need live rotifers as a first food. They will not be able to eat BBS, and will not survive if that’s all you have to feed them.

I have read about some limited success feeding just the smallest sized TDO hatchery diet, but that came with massive early losses as well if not combined with rotifers...

CoralsDE

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Larval clownfish need live rotifers as a first food. They will not be able to eat BBS, and will not survive if that’s all you have to feed them.

I have read about some limited success feeding just the smallest sized TDO hatchery diet, but that came with massive early losses as well if not combined with rotifers...
There are many people had success by feeding brine shrimp only.

sabeypets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First stage the larva depends on its yolk reserves as the sole food source at this stage. As they use this yolk sac, the hatched brine shrimp lose nutritional value and caloric value by around 8 – 12 hours, then it molts into the 2nd larval stage. They need to be hatched daily not stored in the fridge.

sabeypets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good! They can live 2 days without food. Biggest die off will be days 3 and 4, then again going through metamorphosis at days 8 to 12.

CoralsDE

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP any update on the clowns?
So the clownfish are now 8 days old. I had a problem with my heater that's why I lost around 20-30 fish. Now are around 25-30 still alive. I have the problem that some of the clownfish are hanging on the glas like you can see in the video. Does anybody know why they are doing this?

Attachments

• VID-20210506-WA0000.mp4
    2.3 MB

aydemir

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the clownfish are now 8 days old. I had a problem with my heater that's why I lost around 20-30 fish. Now are around 25-30 still alive. I have the problem that some of the clownfish are hanging on the glas like you can see in the video. Does anybody know why they are doing this?
I saw in someone's video they mention that the light was too bright and they tinted the water more with the rotifer food but it was like days 1-5. Not sure since its 8 days.
Also, did you feed baby brine the whole time?

CoralsDE

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw in someone's video they mention that the light was too bright and they tinted the water more with the rotifer food but it was like days 1-5. Not sure since its 8 days.
Also, did you feed baby brine the whole time?
Yes only brine shrimp.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting.hope you raise as many as possible to young juveniles then you in home straight so to speak.
Im interested in raising some fry also.but want to get experienced in the basics of saltwater reef keeping first.maybe 1- 2 years then be comfortable trying raise some little babies ha ha ^_^

yeon.joon.hong

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tim, I was wondering what temperature you kept your fry tank at and what heater you used. and also how'd you manage the ammonia? some people don't do water changes at all :/ and just use prime and stability. And other questions I have is what did you do to hatch the eggs when did you take them out and during that time when they were eggs, what temperature did you keep them at. I'm asking because I Want to replicate your process and I think it's possible that you kept them at a lower temperature which made them come out later but more developed resulting in their ability to eat bbs

yeon.joon.hong

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are many people had success by feeding brine shrimp only.
it's hilarious how brine shrimp are marine invertebrates yet saltwater people have struggle hatching them in contrast to freshwater people. I feel like that's why they use rotifers along with the facte it's common practice to do so

yeon.joon.hong

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
did you tint the water btw? while using brine shrimp?
Hello tonight my clownfish fry hatch and I want to feed the larvae with brine shrimp. How long the brine shrimp have nutrients? Can I put them into the fridge to "keep the nutrients into the brine shrimp"? How many brine shrimp do I need for around 100 larvae in a 3 gallon tank?

CoralsDE

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
did you tint the water btw? while using brine shrimp?
So the fry hatched in the frag tank by the care of the parents. Two hours after the lights went out they hatched. I took a little cup to get them into the larvae tank. The temperature in my frag tank is around 26°C (~79°F). I use the water of the frag tank for the larvae tank for less stress of the larvae. I use an aquael 25w heater but I think it doesn't matter which heater u use.
For test the ammonia I use this ammonia alert cause it's very easy to control the ammonia when it gets to high I change some water.
At the moment I don't tint the water but next time I will try it with because I think they have less stress when the lights are a little bit darker. Also I've read that they see the food better in tinted water. If you have any other questions feel free to ask them. Good luck with your fry!!!

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 41 36.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 33 29.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back