Clownfish bullying

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My bigger clownfish suffered a loss as her friend that she had paired with got eaten by a gorilla crab. My anemone has been continuously moving and it might be because of this. My bigger "assumed female" clownfish has been aggressively attacking my new smaller one and I even saw it lock gills this evening. What steps should I take? I would prefer to be able to keep both, any strategies? Should I return the bigger one as she is the only one showing any signs of aggression, or return both and get a new pair that have been kept together? What is the best plan of action in this situation?

john92708

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how big is the big one? it's not a maroon clown is it? if it's Ocellaris than I would move the big one to a separate tank for a few week to allow the smaller one to heal and get use to the tank. move the big one back after a few week but put her in a breeder box and slowly reintroduce them. good luck

Upvote 0
OP
OP
1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how big is the big one? it's not a maroon clown is it? if it's Ocellaris than I would move the big one to a separate tank for a few week to allow the smaller one to heal and get use to the tank. move the big one back after a few week but put her in a breeder box and slowly reintroduce them. good luck
Unfortunately i dont have any other tanks, so I hope the breeder box will do

Upvote 0

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
How long should they be in jail for?
I'd give it a week. Quick question, are they both the same type of clownfish? Ocellaris and percula look very similar. It took my established female clownfish about a week to stop bullying a new smaller one I got when her first partner went carpet surfing. His fins were slightly frayed from being nipped at.

On a side note, the new clown has to be smaller than the one in the tank. The one in your YouTube video is still kind of small.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd give it a week. Quick question, are they both the same type of clownfish? Ocellaris and percula look very similar. It took my established female clownfish about a week to stop bullying a new smaller one I got when her first partner went carpet surfing. His fins were slightly frayed from being nipped at.

On a side note, the new clown has to be smaller than the one in the tank. The one in your YouTube video is still kind of small.
The new one was much smaller and they seem to both be ocellarus from what I have seen however the bigger one is a lighter orange and the smaller one is a bit darker orange and a darker area near the top fins. My LFS said they were the same type even though they were being kept in two separate tanks.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ScionFRSguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The big fish is probably stressing out wondering where her old mate has gone. I don't have any good suggestion beyond what was already said here. Maybe you can feed the big clown a little more than you would normally to lower her aggression. Hopefully, with that combined with the acclimation box method, and a little patience will do them right. I hope it all works out. Good luck sir.

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
How long should they be in jail for?
Its a clownfish hierarchy. The large is usually the female and will push the smaller -male to a corner, chase it, steal all the food and cause injury. Isolation sometimes work keeping the aggressor in acclimation box 2-4 weeks allowing the male to once again get comfortable in the tank

Upvote 0
OP
OP
1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a clownfish hierarchy. The large is usually the female and will push the smaller -male to a corner, chase it, steal all the food and cause injury. Isolation sometimes work keeping the aggressor in acclimation box 2-4 weeks allowing the male to once again get comfortable in the tank
Yup sounds like it. The male never felt scared or uncomfortable, every time he would come right back and sit in the anemone until the female chases him away again. Just recently I saw him away from the anemone and trying to avoid the female and its fins were destroyed. The second I put the female in jail he ran over to his anemone and has been happy so far so well see how this turns out.

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Yup sounds like it. The male never felt scared or uncomfortable, every time he would come right back and sit in the anemone until the female chases him away again. Just recently I saw him away from the anemone and trying to avoid the female and its fins were destroyed. The second I put the female in jail he ran over to his anemone and has been happy so far so well see how this turns out.
Yep - hierarchy

Upvote 0

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back