Clownfish bullying

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My bigger clownfish suffered a loss as her friend that she had paired with got eaten by a gorilla crab. My anemone has been continuously moving and it might be because of this. My bigger "assumed female" clownfish has been aggressively attacking my new smaller one and I even saw it lock gills this evening. What steps should I take? I would prefer to be able to keep both, any strategies? Should I return the bigger one as she is the only one showing any signs of aggression, or return both and get a new pair that have been kept together? What is the best plan of action in this situation?

Aaron75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In cases of extreme aggression, some people use those clip on acclimation boxes and put the bigger (female) in there, kinda like putting a kid in timeout. This will allow the smaller one to get used to the tank and find their spots to hide or escape routes. As far as the anemone, maybe turn down flow to avoid any disasters and just monitor.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In cases of extreme aggression, some people use those clip on acclimation boxes and put the bigger (female) in there, kinda like putting a kid in timeout. This will allow the smaller one to get used to the tank and find their spots to hide or escape routes. As far as the anemone, maybe turn down flow to avoid any disasters and just monitor.
Thanks! Ill turn down flow, the problem with the clown is that they both want the anemone and they both spend all their time in it and if I take the bigger one out the minute she goes back in she will try to chase him out of the anemone.

Upvote 0

blksubykid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup. Put my female in an acclimation box for little over a week when I introduced a wrasse. She “tolerates” him now and occasionally chases him away from anyone of the LPS she hosts.

There were times when my female was super aggressive to my male and they were QTed and introduced into the track together (pushing 3 years) she’s especially aggressive during feeding but it seems they worked things out over time. Now they both mean as hell and I can’t put anything in the tank without them going ape crap

Upvote 0
OP
OP
1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got back home and the smaller clown's bottom fins are shredded and it has been exiled from the anemone + looks super depressed. I can only go out to get a quarantine box tomorrow do you think he will be ok till then?

Upvote 0

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 111 58.1%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 56 29.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 68 35.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 32 16.8%
  • Other

Votes: 58 30.4%
Back