Clownfish cleaning rock, eggs soon?

mirarose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of clownfish that are at least a couple years old. Female is about 3 inches. The male has been vigorously cleaning a rock the past few days as well as twitching near the female. Do you think they'll lay eggs soon? I have a rotifer culture and a small tank set up ready for fry. Are there any other signs that they might lay eggs soon? Thanks!

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a pair of clownfish that are at least a couple years old. Female is about 3 inches. The male has been vigorously cleaning a rock the past few days as well as twitching near the female. Do you think they'll lay eggs soon? I have a rotifer culture and a small tank set up ready for fry. Are there any other signs that they might lay eggs soon? Thanks!
Yes. You should have a plan for getting the Fry out of the tank. When the fry turn 'silver' - in the eggs - they will hatch that night. there are numerous ways to do it. If you can remove the rock - before the hatching - all the better. If not - use a light and siphon the fry out (they will swim to the light - after hatching)

Bph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
What I have done is the night they hatch and as soon as your lights turn off, I turn off all my pumps take a white coffee/tea cup I used a dim led light to catch the fry in , your will see them hatching shine the dimmed light on the cup the fry will be attracted to the light scoop up as many as you can and place in your frag tank.

Bph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I like to piggy back my main, Display to my fry tank with some air line hose and some good valves the, Display water will drip into the fry tank and the fry tank drips back into the, Displays sump that way the water remains the same in both systems.

Bph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
You will also need a straight bubble wand , I think mine came from Petco, You will have to ajust your bubbles to a minimum , you will also need a good small heater to maintain the temperature to the displays temperature. If the heater has a light on it you will have to black it out other wise the fry will be attracted to it and die.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 142 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.4%
Back