Clownfish Fighting

Adam_1992

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently I added in two more fish into my tank, so all up I have:
2 x Clowns, 2 x four striped Damsels (1 new), 1 x Azure Damsel, 1 FoxFace Lo and a Blue Tang (new).

Yesterday I noticed my slightly smaller clown attacking my bigger one all day and night and all morning now. It’s been chasing it all over the tank non stop, to the point where my bigger clown (the one being attacked) is almost translucent. The little one has always been a bully but nothing like this.

They usually fight a little but never anything like this. They used to simply swipe at each other and then swim on their sides and do some dance but now it looks more serious.

My four striped damsels are also fighting but I think there just getting used to each other...

Please any help you can give me would be amazing!

OP
OP
A

Adam_1992

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is normal clownfish behavior. They are establishing who will be the dominant.
Is it normal to this extent? Im worried the one being attacked will die from exhaustion or stress.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just monitor and have a submersible isolation box on hand so you can separate them if it gets injured.

JAMreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine did something similar, where after months of being together the bigger one started attacking the little one. I read somewhere to turn the lights off when they start fighting and chasing each other all over the tank. It worked for me, they would separate and go to their sleeping places. Sometimes I would have the tank lights off for several hours before normal ‘lights out’. Eventually (week or two)they kissed and made up. Just a suggestion, good luck.

NinjaTiLL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 to @JAMreef. I'm in same situation. Bought 2 Percula Clownfish from the LFS that were in the same tank together. They came home and did 30 days in QT before going in DT. After a day or 2 in display, they started going at each other pretty hard core. I grabbed the one in a beaker and reintroduced a few minutes later in the other side of tank. They were good that day
Next day did some tussling. They've mellowed a bit but are still fighting for a few minutes at a time. They started sleeping on opposite sides of the tank but they're always together when lights are on. I suspect they are finally figuring out who's going to be the female. Maybe they see the anenome in the back which triggered this.

OP
OP
A

Adam_1992

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok Guys, since then I have isolated the bully for a few days. He seems to have calmed down now so I’ll let him out this afternoon.
Although my other clown has this on its face now. It’s not acting weird or finding it hard to breathe or anything.
Is it just a scab?

F6DED198-7252-4A9A-9B54-7B1F0741F440.jpeg 4C2CC4C2-71A2-456A-A98A-0985247CE826.jpeg E2C249E3-59EB-4D0E-8EF0-BE0135C48E2A.jpeg

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is an unresolved issue. Until one establishes themselves as the dominant, I would expect this behavior to continue.

OP
OP
A

Adam_1992

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is an unresolved issue. Until one establishes themselves as the dominant, I would expect this behavior to continue.
I’ve been told by my LFS to just keep isolating the bully for a few days everytime and he should calm down. I’m ok if they fight but he was about the kill the other one this time.
Also should I be worried about my Clowns face?

dzfish17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should probably slow down a bit... Your tank just cycled a month ago and you already have 7 fish in there. If it's the 120 liter that's only a 30 gal tank...too small for the tang of fox face. I'd keep an eye on how much you feed because you may end up with an ammonia spike. Jmho. Good luck

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally wouldn’t isolate that will just delay the inevitable. One has to establish dominance then it will subside. Keep an eye on the one being attacked for severe injuries then separate otherwise leave them be

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been told by my LFS to just keep isolating the bully for a few days everytime and he should calm down. I’m ok if they fight but he was about the kill the other one this time.
Also should I be worried about my Clowns face?

Well.. you can try the LFS recommendation and see what happens. Seems reasonable to me. It may work out.

If you are referring to injury where the clowns face is concerned, I would watch for indicators of infection. And maybe post a question on treating fish injuries.

Sick_man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey my clowns are acting like that too and the same thing happened on his lip. Did this resolve? If so, how did you fix the situation?

NinjaTiLL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They fight to establish dominance. If they already have established that, then the bully might kill the other. Isolate the bully for a day then reintroduce. One of my clownfish developed a sore on his chin during the fighting (white spot with a red center. Center got more red over a week.) They stopped fighting after a week or so and then the sore cleared up over a month. You might try feeding more so there isn't food aggression. Also feeding more will give the injured clown energy to heal. You could soak food in selcon for an immune system boost as well.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 32.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 30.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back