Clownfish getting bullied, will an anemone protect them?

Devin Lange

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pufferfish has really started taking a liking to the clownfish's fins. It's not the worst at the moment, but you can really see the chunks gone from their dorsal fin. We were thinking about getting an anemone, but were worried about compatibility with other fish (longnose butterfly). Will an anemonie protect them? If so, which anemonie would you recommend? If worse comes to worse the Puffer may be going back to the LFS.

Evan28395950

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, it can take awhile for the anemone to start hosting the clownfish. So best bet is to take the puffer back. I’ve heard rumors that a blackout for 24hrs May solve some behavioral issues, or try putting a picture of a bigger pufferfish on the glass.

dylana407

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a puffer. But from my observation, most fish know to stay away from anemone. IME, BTA is the easiest one to keep and most readily available. However, your clownfish may not take refuge in the anemone. I have a maroon clownfish that loves its BTAs. It doesn't touch the mag. and the haddoni. In the same tank, I have a black and white osc.. It doesn't go near any anemone.
Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most puffers are anemone predators.

I think the longnose may pick as well, and like most butterfly's will most likely pick at corals.
Personally I'd pull both, but at the very least pull puffer.

OP
OP
Devin Lange

Devin Lange

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's mostly a fish only tank, so we don't have any inverts or coral. It's a blue spotted puffer, and he seems to only be bothering the clownfish. He's a pretty little dude but he has his temper. I'm wondering if he's just biting the clownfish because he hasn't had any clam shells or snails in a while. If that doesn't work I'll move the clown fish into their own little 20-30 gal tank. Puffer seems to not want to mess with the other fish so I guess the clownfish are the odd ones out.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 47 41.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 10.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 32 28.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.8%
Back