Clownfish Help

Padawan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, I'm worried about one of my clownfish, he seems to be having trouble swimming and keeping himself upright. There seems to be some sort of color change or discoloration on one of his gills too. Not 100% sure what it is or whats causing it. I got him about a week ago and he's only started showing symptoms in the past 3-4 days. I have two ocellaris and two perculas including the one that's unwell, all the others seem fine.

I've read about swim bladder disease i thought it could be that, my other percula has been showing signs of aggression towards him so i wouldn't be surprised if it was stress related, or because of an injury from the fighting. The discoloration is very worrying tho.

I have been having nitrite problems so I'm dosing Seachem Prime to keep them at zero until my biological filter catches up again. I did a large water change about two weeks ago and i think it effected my bio filter so I've been dosing Bacter Start xlm at 5x the dose weekly. My aquarium is about 3 months old. I'm using a make shift lighting atm until i can afford to buy a Radion G5.

I've attached a video and a few pictures, i hope it helps.
Any help, ideas or recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Aquarium type: Reef
Aquarium volume 60 Gallons
Filter type: Refugium / Carbon filter
Temperature: 25.5 ° C
pH: 8.0
Salinity: 1.025
Free Ammonia 0.02 without Seachem prime
Nitrite 0 mg/l
Ntrate 0 mg/l

IMG_20201128_104957.jpg InkedIMG_20201128_215845_LI.jpg

Attachments

• VID_20201128_205057.mp4
    72 MB
  • VID_20201128_233437.mp4
    55.4 MB

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Unfortunately, my internet is down and my phone won’t play your videos.

Is the clown breathing more rapidly or deeply than the other ones?

I would worry about the aggression, but from the picture, the affected clown seems much larger than the one behind it.

Jay

OP
OP
Padawan

Padawan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Unfortunately, my internet is down and my phone won’t play your videos.

Is the clown breathing more rapidly or deeply than the other ones?

I would worry about the aggression, but from the picture, the affected clown seems much larger than the one behind it.

Jay
Hello Jay! thanks for getting back to me.

I think he's breathing normally. 47-68 gbps it's hard to get an exact reading cos he's always turning his head.

He's actually the largest clown in the tank but my other percula who's a fraction smaller is still trying to be top fish. Originally the aggression was between the two smaller ocilarus clowns, one was establishing its dominance and the other was showing signs of submission.

The larger platinum I added first didn't seem bothered cos it was already the largest in the tank at that stage. I added the Picasso a week later and the aggression had stopped between the two smaller clowns. Both perculas seemed to pair up with a smaller ocilarus and stayed at opposite sides of the tank.

The aggression between my two larger perculas only started when I moved a clay pot to make room for a bubble tip i added to my tank. Since then my platinum clown has nipped, headbutted and shaken his tail at my picasso. I wonder are they still trying to decide who's going to be the female or do i already have two.

Hopefully your internet is back up and running :)

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see two red circles in the one picture, are those lesions that you wanted to bring to our attention? I can’t quite make them out.
Ultimately, I think you have aggression going on here, mixing clowns of different sizes can be tricky. It is difficult to manage this aggression - isolating the aggressor, moving tank decorations, adding more hiding spots all may help, but in smaller tanks there sometimes just isn’t enough room for them all to spread out. Combine that with changing sexes, and it can become pretty complicated!
Jay

OP
OP
Padawan

Padawan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! The aggression seems to have stopped since I moved the clay pot back into the tank last night :) I think taking it out may have been the cause. I'll keep an eye on them over the next few days and isolate them if it starts again.

I cropped the original so you can get a better look. hope this helps!

Attachments

• Cropped.jpg
    Cropped.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 46

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tough to see, but those spots are not in typical locations to be a result of being bitten by another clown. Watch them closely for increasing size, especially the one under the pelvic fins. There could be an infection going on there.
Jay

OP
OP
Padawan

Padawan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Jay, just wanted to update you on my clowns, they're all happy and fat :) The aggression stopped now that they've figured out their place in the hierarchy. The patchy colouring I was worried about with the big female (in the pictures above) turned out to be a natural colour change. Some areas just became darker over time including here fins. I assume its natural. Thanks for your help :)

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Jay, just wanted to update you on my clowns, they're all happy and fat :) The aggression stopped now that they've figured out their place in the hierarchy. The patchy colouring I was worried about with the big female (in the pictures above) turned out to be a natural colour change. Some areas just became darker over time including here fins. I assume its natural. Thanks for your help :)
Glad to hear it!

Jay

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 40 57.1%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 20 28.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.9%
Back