Clownfish ID

Gonj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought these clowns at my lfs, I think they were in the wrong tank because the name outside of it did not match what they look like, can anyone help me id? Thanks! Pics below :)

36B26F5C-2CEE-4EF4-9DFB-F4FE69CE402A.jpeg D2D492FC-7707-4577-81FE-7C821B9CBD37.png

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mocha or black ocellaris and then frostbite snowflake ocellaris clownfish

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
most likely the fist one will turn full black overtime, maybe a little orange on the face

OP
OP
Gonj

Gonj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mocha or black ocellaris and then frostbite snowflake ocellaris clownfish
Thanks :) he seemed darker than a mocha to me which is why I was so puzzled haha hopefully he’ll turn black like you mentioned would be interesting. Would you know if these guys would pair? I’ve noticed some aggression from the frostbite snowflake.

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks :) he seemed darker than a mocha to me which is why I was so puzzled haha hopefully he’ll turn black like you mentioned would be interesting. Would you know if these guys would pair? I’ve noticed some aggression from the frostbite snowflake.
They look pretty small, so I presume still have time for one to become a female while the other is male. Based on that, they can pair.

OP
OP
Gonj

Gonj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They look pretty small, so I presume still have time for one to become a female while the other is male. Based on that, they can pair.
Got it, I have them in qt right now and the darker one just hangs in the pvc most of the time whenever it comes out the snowflake darts at it until it goes back in. Should I separate or let them ride it out?

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it, I have them in qt right now and the darker one just hangs in the pvc most of the time whenever it comes out the snowflake darts at it until it goes back in. Should I separate or let them ride it out?
Personally, I would let them ride it out and hope for the best. At this point I would not be too invested in either yet, so if one dies then well, that's just a consequence of nature. Especially since it seems like the domination behavior of your white clownfish is not causing harm to the darker one. It's the same with my cinnamon and ocellaris. The cinnamon would charge at the ocellaris but never actually touch it, with my ocellaris doing the typical shimmer in response.

With that said, you could try a breeding box or similar for the darker one, so they can still establish their hierarchy but without damage to the darker one. There is not necessarily guarantee that once bonded through the breeder box, once released the darker one will still be fine with the other one though. But I suppose there is no real harm in trying this.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they will pair just fine, give it time. May have to do a couple tries at introducing the two but one should establish dominance pretty quickly

OP
OP
Gonj

Gonj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I would let them ride it out and hope for the best. At this point I would not be too invested in either yet, so if one dies then well, that's just a consequence of nature. Especially since it seems like the domination behavior of your white clownfish is not causing harm to the darker one. It's the same with my cinnamon and ocellaris. The cinnamon would charge at the ocellaris but never actually touch it, with my ocellaris doing the typical shimmer in response.

With that said, you could try a breeding box or similar for the darker one, so they can still establish their hierarchy but without damage to the darker one. There is not necessarily guarantee that once bonded through the breeder box, once released the darker one will still be fine with the other one though. But I suppose there is no real harm in trying this.
Sounds good I’ll keep an eye out if it gets too serious I’ll try the breeder box

JtheFishMan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got mine for $35 ‍

Personally, I think that is a little out of my spending zone for a clownfish. Not hating, just sharing my personal opinion. I have a pair of normal Ocellaris Clownfish, getting each for $10 since they are generic looking and were very small when I got them.

OP
OP
Gonj

Gonj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I think that is a little out of my spending zone for a clownfish. Not hating, just sharing my personal opinion. I have a pair of normal Ocellaris Clownfish, getting each for $10 since they are generic looking and were very small when I got them.
I get that I’ve seen them run for more so when I saw that price I scooped him up soon as I could haha

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let them be. I’ve got two baby frostbites right now and they can’t decide who wants to be female. Never had this issue with any other clowns. Frostbites are strange lol. They’ll figure it out just give them time.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back