Clownfish Laid Eggs

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t want to be an ****** but at what point does a community start to get boring from comments that do not pose any help to the initial question.
Probably about the same time they get bored with questions labels an emergency that probably didn't even need to be posted to begin with.

MexiReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably about the same time they get bored with questions labels an emergency that probably didn't even need to be posted to begin with.
Curious in knowing why you believe there are questions not be posted in a forum for questions.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious in knowing why you believe there are questions not be posted in a forum for questions.

I have no problem with questions as thats mostly what this forum is for. Emergency header is for emergencies. Eventually it may get to the point that real emergencies do not get the attention they deserve. Ever read The Boy Who Cried Wolf. Kind of along those lines. Mistakes happen and sometime people select emergency by accident and they realize it. This was obviously not an emergency and not an accident selecting emergency. Thats all I have to say. Happy reefing!

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For posting nonsense ?
offering my experience from the first time I witnessed the exact same .
the reality is . It’s not easy to raise them feom eggs .
1) timing and removing the eggs before cuc takes care of them
2) dad is mature enough to constantly fan and circulate the water around the eggs from spawn to hatch .
3) not get attacked when trying to remove the eggs
4) have a culture of rotifers and phytoplankton available to feed the larvae prior to their transition from larvae to fish
) be prepared to change water as the live rotifers and green water will pollute the water quality in their tank that can only have minimal filtration ( typically sponge filter and air bubbles )

fyi :1) the eggs always hatch after lights out
2) they will spawn every 12-14 days and oddly as it sounds apparently their cycle is started by the moon cycle ( outside our homes )
3)Dad is rarely mature the first time and the eggs will die or be consumed by other tank mates
4)The eggs turn a silver colour with black dots a day before they hatch

now my question …
Where to get rotifers in 1990’s in Canada ?
All very true.
Back in the day (like 5 years ago) lol we grew our own rotifers and phytoplankton. But.......you have to buy the stuff to do it in the first place.
Having that said, the 90's for reef keeping and lighting wasn't exactly up to par (pun intended)
I was born in 89, but my father educated me me well on how terrible it actually was haha. I even have one of his old test kits that had colored cubes to get an idea of aquarium water levels.
He still swears by diatom filters amd he got his up and running amd showed me a whole new world.
Wanna talk about looking like there is no water in the tank?? Lol

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright friends, let's go easy.

OP
OP
A

Adzz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
C4EB36F5-8DC0-4624-9321-ADADE30E019A.jpeg

Attachments

• FE3D0DF3-7604-4F5D-9DE9-A3803F81666B.png
    FE3D0DF3-7604-4F5D-9DE9-A3803F81666B.png
    717.4 KB · Views: 44

Lonster00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
It’s now Day 3 since my clownfish laid eggs and I was wondering if anyone here can give me a load of useful information/tips that will aid me in raising the fry.

I have wanted to breed clownfish for a while and I have done my research so I know the basics but I’m after more searching for what to do now at my current stage?

I have a 25L tank all ready for my hatch tank which I will fill fresh saltwater at 1.021 specific gravity so it matches my main tank. On one of the days 8-10 when I feel they might hatch I plan to remove the plant pot and let them hatch in a blacked out tank with a small diffused light on the top and an air stone lightly brushing against the eggs.

I have got 2500ml of Rotifers and got some Rotifer Feed where I have just started to culture them. Is this enough rotifers would people say?

Not sure if I have missed anything but please let me know if this is a good plan and if I have missed anything. Thanks!

A79D60BE-AB13-4597-B3B5-E478844EF347.png
Hi Adzz. In St Petersburg, Florida here, ironically the place where the first Clownfish hatches and sales took place in the 70s from what I read. My pair laid eggs on Oct 22nd and hatched 10 days later. I have about 20 surviving and are 88 days old. Oddly enough, Ive tried to hatch about 5 successive batches they laid, on average about every 12 days later, and none have survived past about 2 days. At one point, I had 3 - 5gal buckets of rotifers going to feed them. Its fun to try but it does seem hit or miss. I get the Rotifers from Reed Mariculture and they ship in a few days, but after paying the 20 bucks for the Rotifers and the $37.50 for shipping, it gets old really fast. Anyone know of another source of live rotifers to start a culture that isnt ripping you off for shipping?
At any rate, post some pictures of the babies.

This was the first post, but I didnt think it was posted so I left it.

Last edited:

Lonster00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
It’s now Day 3 since my clownfish laid eggs and I was wondering if anyone here can give me a load of useful information/tips that will aid me in raising the fry.

I have wanted to breed clownfish for a while and I have done my research so I know the basics but I’m after more searching for what to do now at my current stage?

I have a 25L tank all ready for my hatch tank which I will fill fresh saltwater at 1.021 specific gravity so it matches my main tank. On one of the days 8-10 when I feel they might hatch I plan to remove the plant pot and let them hatch in a blacked out tank with a small diffused light on the top and an air stone lightly brushing against the eggs.

I have got 2500ml of Rotifers and got some Rotifer Feed where I have just started to culture them. Is this enough rotifers would people say?

Not sure if I have missed anything but please let me know if this is a good plan and if I have missed anything. Thanks!

A79D60BE-AB13-4597-B3B5-E478844EF347.png
Congratulations. I had my pair lay eggs around Oct 22nd and they are now 88 days old. About 20 are surviving. Its been a wild ride getting them to this stage, and somehow survived a heater malfunction that raised the temps to almost 90 degrees. Initially the first few weeks, I changed the water every day taking out 40 percent. I used an air stone and piece of tubing to drain the water out to a bucked on the floor, so as not to suck up the very tiny fry. The airstone would get clogged and I had to scrub it each time and replace it several times. After the fry were bigger, I used a piece of rigid airline tubing that I would sort of vaccuum the bottom of the tank with to remove the detritus and water. The hardest part of me was getting the live rotifers and keeping the cultures alive. The rotifers come from Reed Mariculture and are 20 bucks a bag for 1million , but the shipping is $37.50 and seems like a rip off. Anyone know of anyone else selling live Rotifers? At any rate, good luck and post some pictures of the babies. I am in St Petersburg , Florida, ironically where the first tank raised Clownfish hatching and sales happened from what I read.

The baby clownfish in the picture is 88 days old, and maybe just under 1/2 " long.

Attachments

• Clownfish with eggs.jpg
    Clownfish with eggs.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 23
  • Baby Clownfish.jpg
    Baby Clownfish.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 29
OP
OP
A

Adzz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, just wanted to post updates on where I am today. The clownfish that hatched, I managed to hatch and raise with your support so thank you to everyone that supported me.. others that posted useless garbage, don’t bother next time - you have been proven wrong.

I have since got hold of a black hawk picasso which seem to be quite rare in the uk and another of my pairs have just laid eggs for me. The colour of the eggs are insane. I am having a lot more success from the experience I’ve gained. Bring on some more breeding pairs and babies!

CAB540DA-D772-4277-9FBE-6C2B804DD142.jpeg 2E38180C-C468-47E2-9740-FBA6448C2D3C.jpeg 6A053DF2-1F16-4CC5-80A6-27F9B3898048.jpeg

OP
OP
A

Adzz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, just wanted to post updates on where I am today. The clownfish that hatched, I managed to hatch and raise with your support so thank you to everyone that supported me.. others that posted useless garbage, don’t bother next time - you have been proven wrong.

I have since got hold of a black hawk picasso which seem to be quite rare in the uk and another of my pairs have just laid eggs for me. The colour of the eggs are insane. I am having a lot more success from the experience I’ve gained. Bring on some more breeding pairs and babies!

Attachments

• IMG_3732.MOV
    3.1 MB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you were the one that started this thread to ask questions but do you mind making a little tutorial on how you raise your clownfish?

OP
OP
A

Adzz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you were the one that started this thread to ask questions but do you mind making a little tutorial on how you raise your clownfish?

Hi there. Sorry for the late reply. I will definitely share my process with everyone below in seperate parts as having the time to cover everything in one post would be har! Anyways, I hope the following details help.

Firstly, if any of you would like to follow my progress, ask questions etc. Please follow my page on Facebook - AdzAquatics

PART 1 - I will try to keep this as simple as possible and cover as many points I can. Please bare in mind that I am no writer, lol!

Hatch Tank Setup & Equipment Checklist:
• 24L Hatch Tanks with lids to massively reduce condensation for each batch.
• 50w Heaters for each tank (unless you run an all in one plumbed system).
• Seachem Ammonia alert badge - these have helped massively.
• Thermometers for each tank.
• Strong Air pump and air line tubing.
• Sponge filters - I always to make sure that I have filter sponges in my main display/sump so I will always have a seeded filter for the hatch tanks which will be used at day 7.
• Seachem Prime
• TDO Food for the fry and Rotifers up till day 13
• Phytoplankton, (for the rotifers)
• Clay pot for the eggs and a replacement to swap out for the parents
• Hanna salinity checker or Refractometer
• Small dim lighting

Hatch Prep:
I will usually wait until the day before my eggs hatch before I pull the pot and place it in my hatching tanks. I will use fresh saltwater at 1.020 specific gravity for the hatching tanks. My tanks will also all be run at 28C as well. When filling the tank with the fresh water the night before, I will mark on the tank with a marker pen the water level I fill it to (this will usually be about 1/4 full or just above the height of a clay pot). It is important to keep the water level lower the first couple of days so it is earlier for the fry to catch the food (rotifers) as there is less area for them to have to swim to catch the food. The marker pen will help to keep track of your salinity as you will be able to easily see when your tank needs topping up with RO. It is also important to tint the water with phytoplankton so the fry are protected from the light and also so that your rotifers are always gut loaded for more nutrition for your fry.

When pulling the eggs, I cover the hole in the pot with my thumb and lift it out of the water, by doing this, it will stop the water from draining out of the pot and the eggs will be fully submerged to reduce any issues that can be caused when they are exposed to air. I will then simply place this pot in the hatching tank with the air-stone gently bubbling against the eggs. Finally I will completely black out the tank on all sides with bin liners/bags and cello tape for the hatch. 30 minutes after lights out/blackout, the eggs will start hatching for me. After the hatch I will leave the tank blacked out until the morning.

Day 1:
So let’s say you now have a batch of hatched fry and it is the morning after the hatch.. now what?

I will now remove the cover of bin liners from the lid to start with and I will keep the lid off for 1 day. I will also switch on a dim light and keep it on for 24/7 and above the tank for the first 3 weeks. (Make sure the water is tinted with the phyto before switching on the light if you haven’t tinted it yet).

Next I will add the rotifers. From my culture I use my rotifer sieve to drain out a good amount of rotifers for the fry, I simply add this to the hatch tank. I don’t really have a specific amount that I add to the hatch tank, I gauge this from experience and it is a different amount every hatch depending on the amount of fry you . The best rule of thumb is to always have 1 rotifer per fry length. Ok but what if my water is tinted and I can’t see the fry? You can shine a dim torch in the tank and put it up against the side of the glass. You will eventually be able to see one of the fry come to the light and then check if the density of your rotifers are at a good point.

Continuously check the phyto tint, rotifer density, PH and the salinity throughout the day and keep it at the recommended levels.

Thanks for reading and let me know if this was any help and if you want a part 2 :)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back