Clownfish Laid Eggs

Adzz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
It’s now Day 3 since my clownfish laid eggs and I was wondering if anyone here can give me a load of useful information/tips that will aid me in raising the fry.

I have wanted to breed clownfish for a while and I have done my research so I know the basics but I’m after more searching for what to do now at my current stage?

I have a 25L tank all ready for my hatch tank which I will fill fresh saltwater at 1.021 specific gravity so it matches my main tank. On one of the days 8-10 when I feel they might hatch I plan to remove the plant pot and let them hatch in a blacked out tank with a small diffused light on the top and an air stone lightly brushing against the eggs.

I have got 2500ml of Rotifers and got some Rotifer Feed where I have just started to culture them. Is this enough rotifers would people say?

Not sure if I have missed anything but please let me know if this is a good plan and if I have missed anything. Thanks!

A79D60BE-AB13-4597-B3B5-E478844EF347.png

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typically the first time doesn’t work and the eggs will disappear or not live long enough to move them .

ideally on roughly day 8 after lights out is when they start to hatch . Watch for the colour of the eggs to change , If I remember they turn almost clear with black .

raising them from larvae to fry is the hardest .
Supplying a heavy enough population of rotifers and phyto trashes the water , which needs to be changed frequently

Good luck and please keep us posted

OP
OP
A

Adzz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typically the first time doesn’t work and the eggs will disappear or not live long enough to move them .

ideally on roughly day 8 after lights out is when they start to hatch . Watch for the colour of the eggs to change , If I remember they turn almost clear with black .

Supplying a heavy enough population of rotifers and phyto trashes the water , which needs to be changed frequently

Thanks, I will give it my best shot lol

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Google "pickles guide to breeding clownfish" for a very good tutorial.

That said, the challenge to raising clownfish with minimal defects. I've been doing it for years, and still haven't mastered it. Best of luck!

Also, it's probably better to post your questions here.

OP
OP
A

Adzz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I managed to successfully raise the fry so far with 26 in total. I’ll post pics when they grow.

OP
OP
A

Adzz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They had 2 successful hatches and the 2 batches after that they ate the eggs so I’m wondering if anyone could provide useful tips to stop them eating the eggs!

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Rmckoy just saying. If normal activities of healthy fish get titled as an emergency how long before real emergencies get ignored? Maybe I'm an *****, I have been told that :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:
I agree …
I saw emergency but assumed someone else already said something about it not being emergency

clownfish can spawn as frequent as every 14 days

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So very true!
Also you will want to kinda net your overflow up as well as watch power heads.

OP
OP
A

Adzz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Rmckoy just saying. If normal activities of healthy fish get titled as an emergency how long before real emergencies get ignored? Maybe I'm an *****, I have been told that :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:
When fish lay eggs, there’s only a limited time before they hatch.. unfortunately I can’t pause time to make sure I am prepared for the hatch to keep those fish alive.

I would consider this an emergency if baby clowns lives are at risk if I was missing some crucial info - next time just go back to the home page instead of posting unhelpful replies. Don’t want to be an ****** but at what point does a community start to get boring from comments that do not pose any help to the initial question.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When fish lay eggs, there’s only a limited time before they hatch.. unfortunately I can’t pause time to make sure I am prepared for the hatch to keep those fish alive.

I would consider this an emergency if baby clowns lives are at risk if I was missing some crucial info - next time just go back to the home page instead of posting unhelpful replies. Don’t want to be an ****** but at what point does a community start to get boring from comments that do not pose any help to the initial question.

Clownfish eggs hatch on the 8th day
I have researched this years ago when mine were spawning every 14 days and I wanted to try raising them
At that time (1990’s ) there wasn’t as much information available

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Curious why you tagged me in this comment ?

exnisstech

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If you were not prepared to raise them already then their lives were not at risk. They were already over

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that wasn't even posted by you. It got quoted and somehow you got tagged.
But geez
For posting nonsense ?
offering my experience from the first time I witnessed the exact same .
the reality is . It’s not easy to raise them feom eggs .
1) timing and removing the eggs before cuc takes care of them
2) dad is mature enough to constantly fan and circulate the water around the eggs from spawn to hatch .
3) not get attacked when trying to remove the eggs
4) have a culture of rotifers and phytoplankton available to feed the larvae prior to their transition from larvae to fish
) be prepared to change water as the live rotifers and green water will pollute the water quality in their tank that can only have minimal filtration ( typically sponge filter and air bubbles )

fyi :1) the eggs always hatch after lights out
2) they will spawn every 12-14 days and oddly as it sounds apparently their cycle is started by the moon cycle ( outside our homes )
3)Dad is rarely mature the first time and the eggs will die or be consumed by other tank mates
4)The eggs turn a silver colour with black dots a day before they hatch

now my question …
Where to get rotifers in 1990’s in Canada ?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 80 38.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.5%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 31 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back