Clownfish looks sick

hube

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday I lost a bicolor blenny, and after looking closer at my fish I noticed that my clownfish looks like it may have Brook or Velvet, could someone help me id and have any advice on treatment? His behavior looks ok for now, no itching and swimming around and he’s eating a bit. I hope it’s just paranoia from my previous loss but I doubt it.

IMG_7270.jpeg IMG_7262.jpeg IMG_7263.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Yesterday I lost a bicolor blenny, and after looking closer at my fish I noticed that my clownfish looks like it may have Brook or Velvet, could someone help me id and have any advice on treatment? His behavior looks ok for now, no itching and swimming around and he’s eating a bit. I hope it’s just paranoia from my previous loss but I doubt it.

IMG_7270.jpeg IMG_7262.jpeg IMG_7263.jpeg
Im seeing secondary bacterial lesions associated with brooklynella disease. The most significant sign is the amount of slime on its body. The thick mucus on its body is a second sign which is noticeable on the fish. This mucus generally starts at the facial area as well as gills and spreads across the body producing lesions as it progresses often confused with ich and can turn into secondary bacteria. Other symptoms will be lethargic behavior, refusing to eat and heavy breathing from the mucus.
Typical treatment is a formalin solution is mixed with in a separate container with either fresh or saltwater. Start with a quick dip in the formalin at a higher concentration then performing treatment in a prolonged bath of formalin base at a lower concentration in a quarantine tank. The longer the fish are exposed to the formalin treatment the more effective it will be at eliminating this issue.
If a formalin solution is not available for immediate use, temporary relief can be achieved by giving the fish a FW bath or dip in water same temperature as display tank. Even though this treatment will not cure the disease, it can help to remove some of the parasites, as well as reduce the amount of mucus in the gills to assist with respiration problems.
Treatment is best done in a QT tank using either quick cure (more effective but now harder to find) or Ruby Rally Pro. Ruby takes a little longer and initial treatment generally takes 2-3 days to really start going to work.
With the advanced stage of this- I recommend immediate quarantine of all inhabitants and leaving display without fish for 4-6 weeks.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you get some pictures/video under white light?

I see advanced marine ich on this clownfish. The discrete spots are the clue. If it had velvet, it wouldn't be eating. If it had Brooklynella, it would have more mucus, and would be swimming sort of "mopey" with clamped fins.

Jay

OP
OP
H

hube

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you get some pictures/video under white light?

I see advanced marine ich on this clownfish. The discrete spots are the clue. If it had velvet, it wouldn't be eating. If it had Brooklynella, it would have more mucus, and would be swimming sort of "mopey" with clamped fins.

Jay

This was it this morning, I’m not home at the moment, he looked fine under white light in my opinion, that’s why I thought I was a bit paranoid, but I will be home soon to see for certain. What are your thoughts?

OP
OP
H

hube

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see nothing on your fish, looks quite different from the first pic.
The video I took this morning, the pictures I took 3 or 4 hours later, then I had to go to class, I’ll try to get another once I get home.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
@Jay Hemdal

Here is a video filmed a minute ago in white light

Blue light

This is after the freshwater dip as instructed by @vetteguy53081

He seemed to take the dip well. Funny is , I dont see the film that was there previously. Do you see a difference in skin appearance?
Videos are best when at least 20-25 seconds in length as fish quite a bit in presence of camera/phone

OP
OP
H

hube

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He seemed to take the dip well. Funny is , I dont see the film that was there previously. Do you see a difference in skin appearance?
Videos are best when at least 20-25 seconds in length as fish quite a bit in presence of camera/phone
Here’s him taking a lap around the tank, water is a bit cloudy because I turkey basted some rocks a bit ago:

I noticed a little change, but the white light video from before the dip that I replied to Jay with and this one after the dip look a bit similar.

Should I just keep an eye on him for now? Or is blue just not his most photogenic light and/or maybe he just needed a 5 min break from the energetic chromis?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Here’s him taking a lap around the tank, water is a bit cloudy because I turkey basted some rocks a bit ago:

I noticed a little change, but the white light video from before the dip that I replied to Jay with and this one after the dip look a bit similar.

Should I just keep an eye on him for now? Or is blue just not his most photogenic light and/or maybe he just needed a 5 min break from the energetic chromis?

Fish appears a little better but hard to see as you mentioned from milky effect. Observe yes.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would give it 24 hours and see if the spots return. Watch for any spots showing up on the other fish. I’m still worried that this is ich.

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 124 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.5%
Back