Clownfish Moved his Anenome

myMOMfishtank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
**I dont know alot about salt water tanks or fish. I just help my mother who just started a saltwater tank get answers for stuff her fish do that worry her**

So my moms tank has been doing well for a while. The only recent change is that she changed the main direction of the pump that creates the current in the tank. Everything was fine for a couple weeks but recently our clownfish started batting at its anenome and has begun moving it across the tank.

Should we be worried that something is wrong or will he just find a new spot to keep it and be okay? Is this bad for the anenome??

OP
OP
myMOMfishtank

myMOMfishtank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But what I mean is that we're literally watching the clownfish smack its tail into the anenome to roll it across the tank. I dont think the poor anenome is getting much of a say in this.

eggplantparrot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
umm... is your anemone not attached to the rock or substrate...? that's not what we are talking about... if it's unattached and just floating around the tank then your anemone is either REALLY not happy and doesn't want to settle anywhere or your clownfish isn't giving it a chance to settle down.

TheShrimpNibbler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But what I mean is that we're literally watching the clownfish smack its tail into the anenome to roll it across the tank. I dont think the poor anenome is getting much of a say in this.
I don’t mean to be rude, but I feel like you’re not seeing something right. Either that, or your clownfish is huge and you have an extremely small anemone. Is the anemone still attached to the rock? They have feet and can walk on their own. That is probably what you are seeing. They are very sensitive to flow.

OP
OP
myMOMfishtank

myMOMfishtank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
umm... is your anemone not attached to the rock or substrate...? that's not what we are talking about... if it's unattached and just floating around the tank then your anemone is either REALLY not happy and doesn't want to settle anywhere or your clownfish isn't giving it a chance to settle down.

It was sitting pretty okay next to or on the base of a rock (hard to tell) right at sand level. Its small tho so the clown might have been strong enough to shove it.

Heres a couple pics for size reference and so you can see where the anenome was. My mom knows the lightning is bad, saving for new lights as we speak.

20191024_211508.jpg 20191206_223952.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
myMOMfishtank

myMOMfishtank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t mean to be rude, but I feel like you’re not seeing something right. Either that, or your clownfish is huge and you have an extremely small anemone. Is the anemone still attached to the rock? They have feet and can walk on their own. That is probably what you are seeing. They are very sensitive to flow.

I put pics in a recent reply. The clown is kindof a bully. Moved a pask anenome alot too but it got sick and died.

TheShrimpNibbler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was sitting pretty okay next to or on the base of a rock (hard to tell) right at sand level. Its small tho so the clown might have been strong enough to shove it.

Heres a couple pics for size reference and so you can see where the anenome was. My mom knows the lightning is bad, saving for new lights as we speak.

20191024_211508.jpg 20191206_223952.jpg
That anemone is bleached. You should feed it. I really doubt that the clown could move the nem. It’s more likely that anemone is moving on its own. What light are you using? If the light is not right, that would explain the bleaching. You should maybe get rid of the anemone until you can get a proper light. Also, what are the parameters? Is the clown bullying the anemone? In what way?

Last edited:

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A few questions for your moms tank.

What are the parameters. Such as ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, ph, salinity, temp?

Also what lights is she using?

The nem in your moms tank looks bleached and starving. They need A lot of light to live.

How old is your moms tank?

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is that a sebae anemone? It looks bleached. What’s kind of lighting do you have? Sebaes are more difficult nems to keep.

OP
OP
myMOMfishtank

myMOMfishtank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NO WORRIES, THESE ARE OLD PICS!
Its a much better color now.
She got the anenome before being told about the lights so we're hoping to keep it happy & healthy until the new lights come.

Its a long tent.
For tank parameters I know that she uses test strips and all levels are always I the range they need to be. She had a nitrate issue once but fixed it.
The lights are LEDs right now. We hate them but they came with the lid.

OP
OP
myMOMfishtank

myMOMfishtank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little update for anyone wondering. It was a response to our Christmas tree my mom put up. Too much light and too close to the tank over night must have screwed with the fish. We turned the tree off and the clown&anenome moved back to their usual spot. Weird but thats the only answer we've found so were gonna run with it. She says thanks to everyone who tried helping.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back