Clownfish outcome/end goal

Alex Mederos

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I’m currently setting up a tank for clownfish for my kids. It’s an old IM 25g lagoon. Anyways I plan on having the clowns bond then hopefully mate. My question is: I know the female is bigger, the male smaller. If I, let’s say, have a Picasso and a snowflake, which should be the female? I mean which one of the pair gives most of the look to it’s offspring? Will the female give most of her look to the fry or will the male?
I just want to plan ahead since this will be the first breeding I attempt.

HD_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I’m currently setting up a tank for clownfish for my kids. It’s an old IM 25g lagoon. Anyways I plan on having the clowns bond then hopefully mate. My question is: I know the female is bigger, the male smaller. If I, let’s say, have a Picasso and a snowflake, which should be the female? I mean which one of the pair gives most of the look to it’s offspring? Will the female give most of her look to the fry or will the male?
I just want to plan ahead since this will be the first breeding I attempt.
That science is way above my head, but I'm pretty sure the clowns will determine which becomes female. As an example, when I brought my clowns home, one was significantly larger than the other. Over the course of a few months, they decided differently and the smaller one quickly grew larger.

iMi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clownfish are all born male. If you put two new clownfish into a tank, in time, the one that is more dominant will become a female. Whether or not they bond is another issue all together...

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I think you’re looking for something like this? If you have a specific end goal pattern for babies in mind (black storm, snow storm, Wyoming white, etc) we can help you more
E0EB11C3-9DA0-4F5F-841F-2BD652480CDD.jpeg

OP
OP
Alex Mederos

Alex Mederos

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That science is way above my head, but I'm pretty sure the clowns will determine which becomes female. As an example, when I brought my clowns home, one was significantly larger than the other. Over the course of a few months, they decided differently and the smaller one quickly grew larger.
This I know. But if one is say 2-2 1/2” an the other is 1” or one is older in age (knowing the actual age) that would give the bigger clown a leg up.
Clownfish are all born male. If you put two new clownfish into a tank, in time, the one that is more dominant will become a female. Whether or not they bond is another issue all together...
Binding takes time. I’ve bonded three pair never by themselves in the tanks. Always had tank mates so never bothered trying to breed.
Hi! I think you’re looking for something like this? If you have a specific end goal pattern for babies in mind (black storm, snow storm, Wyoming white, etc) we can help you more
E0EB11C3-9DA0-4F5F-841F-2BD652480CDD.jpeg
Yes! This is exactly what I was looking for. Like a lineage chart.

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This I know. But if one is say 2-2 1/2” an the other is 1” or one is older in age (knowing the actual age) that would give the bigger clown a leg up.

Binding takes time. I’ve bonded three pair never by themselves in the tanks. Always had tank mates so never bothered trying to breed.

Yes! This is exactly what I was looking for. Like a lineage chart.
What kind of outcome are you looking for? Like a storm pattern? Extreme Picasso?

OP
OP
Alex Mederos

Alex Mederos

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of outcome are you looking for? Like a storm pattern? Extreme Picasso?
Not really sure yet. I mean I know a. Ocellaris and a. Percula can breed with their own and cross breed. I also know that maroons are pains (from experience). I would love to do something new (I.e thunder maroon pattern on a phantom, or an all new look period) I know that’s a long shot but just starting to wonder if itd be possible.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im sure it will vary in the fry. I would think the irregular white edges from snowflake will make most offspring look like snowflakes.

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really sure yet. I mean I know a. Ocellaris and a. Percula can breed with their own and cross breed. I also know that maroons are pains (from experience). I would love to do something new (I.e thunder maroon pattern on a phantom, or an all new look period) I know that’s a long shot but just starting to wonder if itd be possible.
Sure! I totally agree with you that maroon clowns are pretty evil and unsuitable for a lot of tanks. Try looking at these babies, they’re pretty close to what you’re describing I think. He ended up losing the whole batch but I have the only surviving baby :) https://marsh-reef.org/index.php?threads/wyoming-white-x-gladiator-clownfish-breeding.63217/

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a percula female and a mocha storm male breeding every two weeks. Havent raised any fry though so I cant really help too much

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back