Clownfish parasite treatment?

ssavatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a clownfish who has had white stringy poop the last two days. I’m assuming parasites and wondering what my best option is. Considering I’ve only had her for 4 days and she’s still nervous and unsure of her new home I think setting up a qt might do more harm than good. She’s not showing any lethargy and looks very healthy overall so I’m not panicked to get her out and into a qt which might just stress her more than necessary. She’s also not a huge eater yet and has only taken tiny bits of a pellet and a little bit of frozen plankton though she eats on copepods all day. Considering all this is prazipro my best bet? I would go with the seachem MetroPlex and focus combo but I don’t think I’ll be able to get her to eat it. She’s in a 10g so I want to make sure I get the right dose and do the right amount of water changes so I don’t harm anything.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Make sure the food is the right size for the clown, you may need to cut the plankton up with a razor blade first. You also should monitor the ammonia in the 10g and keep it near zero.

I think you should look into dosing with API General Cure - it has praziquantel and Metronidazole in and and it goes in the water, not the food. Marine fish need to constantly drink to stay alive, so they ingest the drugs that way.

Watch for rapid breathing as this can be a symptom of protozoan disease.

Jay

OP
OP
ssavatt

ssavatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Make sure the food is the right size for the clown, you may need to cut the plankton up with a razor blade first. You also should monitor the ammonia in the 10g and keep it near zero.

I think you should look into dosing with API General Cure - it has praziquantel and Metronidazole in and and it goes in the water, not the food. Marine fish need to constantly drink to stay alive, so they ingest the drugs that way.

Watch for rapid breathing as this can be a symptom of protozoan disease.

Jay
I was thinking about general cure although I have 4 soft corals in the tank and general cure isn’t reef safe right? got her to eat some brine shrimp today so I think possibly I can at least get some medicine in her through food so I may try metroplex and focus but if I can’t get her to eat that should I go with prazipro so my corals aren’t hurt or killed?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking about general cure although I have 4 soft corals in the tank and general cure isn’t reef safe right? got her to eat some brine shrimp today so I think possibly I can at least get some medicine in her through food so I may try metroplex and focus but if I can’t get her to eat that should I go with prazipro so my corals aren’t hurt or killed?

Sorry - when I read 10 gallon, I just assumed it was only fish - don't know why, I have a 16 gallon coral tank (grin). You're correct, GC can't be used with the softies. Metroplex+focus has some serious dosing problems, but that is really your only option with the corals in there.

Jay

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back