Clownfish skeleton fin

fubanachi24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know what is going on with my clown fish he has a little white string hanging and also on his top fin you can see his skeleton appearing more and more I don’t know what is wrong with him I have him right now in a hospital tank alone does anyone know what this could be or how I can fix it thank you
FA38A0FB-082F-4043-905E-2BBC7FB72F3F.png
FA38A0FB-082F-4043-905E-2BBC7FB72F3F.png
936C87CB-6BAA-4076-94E5-AEBACB9D88B5.png

OP
OP
fubanachi24

fubanachi24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea here it is.. it looks weird . Like his bones are showing ??? I never seen anything like it . Right now I gave him some kordan rapid cure ice disease , last two days I gave him some metroplex seachem
1E4ADF2E-FEC1-48A1-8B93-55999D11C1D5.png
5A051D01-B47F-4591-A96C-3B9260196F6D.png
2C9F8433-B8EE-425E-B298-92990247F3F9.jpeg

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm concerned this fish may have brooklynella, a disease that targets Clown fish.

Jay will confirm but treatment will require quarantine and formalin medication.

Do you have the equipment to set up a qt?

Dreminon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm concerned this fish may have brooklynella, a disease that targets Clown fish.

Jay will confirm but treatment will require quarantine and formalin medication.

Do you have the equipment to set up a qt?
pretty sure Brooklynella is a gill disease but I may be remembering wrong

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
please describe his breathing and confirm his body is covered with slime and mucus which is what I see in the photo.

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The other possibility is velvet which is recognized by very rapid breathing. It also will require qt but copper instead of formalin.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Yikes. This fish has a bad bacterial infection. Treatment will be external and in a quarantine , treat with:
Kanaplex
Metroplex added to foods at 5000gm weight
Nitrofuracin, If you can find any- good for wounds

Add aeration during treatment with air stone. Monitor water quaility which may have triggered this to start with. Also external injury or bite from another fish could have also caused this. Assure you are monitoring ammonia and nitrate with reliable test kits.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
pretty sure Brooklynella is a gill disease but I may be remembering wrong
Brook is not a gill disease but is rather a parasite known as brooklynella hostillis which emits a large amount of slime that affects the gills as well as body making it difficult to eat, causing loss of appetitie and even ability to obtain oxygen.

OP
OP
fubanachi24

fubanachi24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
he is in a qt tank right now, moved him from my 37 gallon . In my tank I have 2 purple fire fish, 2 dragonets , and a anemone

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is breathing rapidly unfortunately

Welcome to Reef2Reef!

The rapid breathing is a serious symptom. It could be velvet or Brooklynella as mentioned. The eroded dorsal fin is also a problem, that is most likely a severe bacterial infection, but there is also a rare fungus that can cause that.

The treatment of choice, is formalin, but I doubt you will be able to find any of that available in time to help your fish (various governments around the world have restricted its use because it is pretty dangerous to people).

Less effective, but a lot easier, would be to try a five minute freshwater dip. That may help temporarily with the rapid breathing, and may help with the fungus. It will not help if the issue is bacterial.

Jay

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

The rapid breathing is a serious symptom. It could be velvet or Brooklynella as mentioned. The eroded dorsal fin is also a problem, that is most likely a severe bacterial infection, but there is also a rare fungus that can cause that.

The treatment of choice, is formalin, but I doubt you will be able to find any of that available in time to help your fish (various governments around the world have restricted its use because it is pretty dangerous to people).

Less effective, but a lot easier, would be to try a five minute freshwater dip. That may help temporarily with the rapid breathing, and may help with the fungus. It will not help if the issue is bacterial.

Jay
I think rally has formlin although really diluted.

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think rally has formlin although really diluted.
Based on a communication I had several months ago with a representative of Ruby Reef, Ruby Rally Pro does not have a measurable amount of formalin. The primary active ingredient is acriflavine. The company still markets the product as a treatment for brooklynella. I don't have personal experience using it to treat brook, but it may work.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back