Clownfish spawned fornthe first time last night

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my clowns played eggs last night for the first time. Last night was the first night of the new moon cycle on my lights (no lights on) this am when I inspected the tank and did a headcount I noticed the eggs. Honestly I'm pretty stoked. This is the first time in almost 20 years being in the hobby that I've had clowns spawn.

So the female is a baby of my original "Doni's Reef" snowcasso pair that I acquired from doni years ago. After hurricane sandy I was able to save them and they lived in a 5 gallon bucket for almost a month in my firehouse. We were out of power for 2 weeks and then a snowstorm a week later killed power for another week. So the tank obviously crashed. But I saved my clowns. I had sold them to clownfish depot in PA and told him I wanted a baby when the time came from my pair. Well I got the chance about 2 years ago to get one of the babies from my original pair and she became a momma last night.
The dad Is a frostbite, that I got from my LFS, hes the second clown to be paired with the female. The first male was a really cool full helmet head from clownfish depot but unfortunatly I lost him after 6 months from a velvet infection. I was able to save the female. I also have a baby male black storm clown but hes not allowed to the corner where they live so I know hes not the dad... hes pretty young anyway. Maybe about a 8mo-a year.

Anyway here's some pics of the parents and the eggs. They layed them in the corner of the glass on the silicone, next to where they live (right next to my mag glass cleaner) I counted about 50 eggs. Which in think is pretty good for the first batch. The male is doing his best to guard the batch but my orange shoulder keeps swimming between the eggs and him and he allows it. So hes probably not as secure as a more mature male.
I also added a pic of all the food I mix together weekly for their feedings. I definitly think the LRS food is amazing and has helped this clown pair be successful.
I was thinking about maybe trying to rear them in the future. If I can get their cycle down and get them to lay the eggs on the mag float instead of the glass so I can move them to a grow out tank...

What is some of the things I need to raise them properly, filtration, live food type questions.
Thanks for all your help.

20190830_130429.jpg 20190830_142142.jpg 20190830_135652.jpg 20190830_142147.jpg 20190830_135654.jpg 20190830_125324.jpg 20190830_124509.jpg

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice looking clowns! Congrats on the eggs, mine laid for the first time a while back as well.
I've been setting up to raise the babies, so I have a rotifer culture kit (from reef nutrition) and some two sizes of TDO food from BRS.
I also acquired the vossen larval trap so I can easily catch the fry on the next hatch.
Mine refuse to lay on anything but the glass, so the trap is necessary until I move them to their own tank.

OP
OP
motortrendz

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice looking clowns! Congrats on the eggs, mine laid for the first time a while back as well.
I've been setting up to raise the babies, so I have a rotifer culture kit (from reef nutrition) and some two sizes of TDO food from BRS.
I also acquired the vossen larval trap so I can easily catch the fry on the next hatch.
Mine refuse to lay on anything but the glass, so the trap is necessary until I move them to their own tank.
Gotcha, what will you be using to filter the fry tank ? I was thinking about getting a 2.5 gallon tank to try to raise them in..
I was thinking one of those bubble type filters with the foam pad in it, a small heater(not sure what temp to set it at yet)
So the rotifer culture you just set up in the tank and enough phyto to tint the water green if I remember correctly?..
What's the TDO?
Do they need any kind of lighting or can I just leave the tank on the cinder with natural lighting?

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha, what will you be using to filter the fry tank ? I was thinking about getting a 2.5 gallon tank to try to raise them in..
I was thinking one of those bubble type filters with the foam pad in it, a small heater(not sure what temp to set it at yet)
So the rotifer culture you just set up in the tank and enough phyto to tint the water green if I remember correctly?..
What's the TDO?
Do they need any kind of lighting or can I just leave the tank on the cinder with natural lighting?
The fry tank(5g) has only a heater and a sponge filter (the kind you were thinking with the foam)
The rotifer culture kit comes with its own 5 gallon bucket. You feed it either phyto or bottled algae and they reproduce a lot. I chose to use bottled algae to save some time starting another culture.
The TDO is dry food that is small enough for the fry to eat starting day4-5
Ambient lighting is best, they don't need any light AFAIK

OP
OP
motortrendz

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried to look up a rotifer starter culture. Who do you guys recommend I get it from? What type of phytoplankton do you use to raise the rotifers.

OP
OP
motortrendz

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fry tank(5g) has only a heater and a sponge filter (the kind you were thinking with the foam)
The rotifer culture kit comes with its own 5 gallon bucket. You feed it either phyto or bottled algae and they reproduce a lot. I chose to use bottled algae to save some time starting another culture.
The TDO is dry food that is small enough for the fry to eat starting day4-5
Ambient lighting is best, they don't need any light AFAIK
Thanks for the info, I looked on reef nutrition site for the starter kit seems like they aren't selling them? Or maybe I looked in the wrong spot. Any other kits out there recommended by anyone ?

OP
OP
motortrendz

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
C O N G R A T S !! Interested to see the color markings they would breed! :D
Me too. And the wife was all excited so she was like with all the stuff you have in the basement how do you not have stuff to raise the babies. ... you need to get it lol. So I took that as permission to give this a try

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rotifer culture kit https://reefnutrition.com/product_compact_culture_system.php

Rotifer starter culture

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put it all in my cart. And wow they want 65$ to ship it. Seems like alot... 100for the starter kit and culture and 65 for shipping.
It's mostly because the rotifer culture requires two day shipping. You can order just the culture kit and find a live culture somewhere else cheaper if you want.
You might be able to pick up a culture locally

OP
OP
motortrendz

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's mostly because the rotifer culture requires two day shipping. You can order just the culture kit and find a live culture somewhere else cheaper if you want.
You might be able to pick up a culture locally
I'm gonna see what I can do. Workst case I'll just order from them. But that culture bucket looks cool and easy to use. Do you do one for rotifers and one for copepods? Or is just the rotifers nessasary... sorry for all the questions. First time doing it, wanna do it right.

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm gonna see what I can do. Workst case I'll just order from them. But that culture bucket looks cool and easy to use. Do you do one for rotifers and one for copepods? Or is just the rotifers nessasary... sorry for all the questions. First time doing it, wanna do it right.
Yeah the bucket is super easy that's why I wanted it.
I'm not sure if it works for copepods or not. The clownfish only require rotifers though.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 47 51.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.8%
Back