Clownfish sucked into filter!!

Bolen2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so I took the strainer off my HOB filter for a bit to clean it but I forgot to turn it off while I did this. My clownfish got sucked in and somehow survived the ordeal and seems to behave normally but the issue is it has what appears to be intestines coming out of his anus. Over the last hour it looks like some of it has went back into its body but I am 99.999999999% certain that it’s going to die but I’m hoping that there is that .000000000001% chance it pulls through. Has anyone seen a fish survive and injury like this?

OP
OP
B

Bolen2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post a pic of the fish under white lights? I have never heard of this before. A pic will help the experts.
These are the best I could get. It has been swimming around pretty well but it seems panicked now

Attachments

• 0293EAE2-238E-4E1B-9C3A-B3F11C575C52.png
    0293EAE2-238E-4E1B-9C3A-B3F11C575C52.png
    961.8 KB · Views: 240
  • 22DBC909-72AF-417A-A8A7-ED85C63E6504.png
    22DBC909-72AF-417A-A8A7-ED85C63E6504.png
    976.4 KB · Views: 230

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are the best I could get. It has been swimming around pretty well but it seems panicked now
Oh, that doesn't look good. I would also be afraid of infection if that is the intestines. I'm sorry this happened to the poor fella. Let's call in the experts. #fishmedic. I hope everything turns out well! As mentioned it might also be parasites that happened to appear at the same time as the filter incident.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typically, unless the filter is incredibly strong, a healthy fish shouldn’t get sucked into filtration. It appears that the clown may have already had internal parasites, and is becoming weaker, hence why it got sucked into the filter. Has it been eating much? What does the fish’s poop look like? If it is white and/or stringy, this is a sign of intestinal parasites.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That does appear to be a severe intestinal prolapse. Minor cases sometimes resorb, but that is unlikely in this case - sorry!

Jay

OP
OP
B

Bolen2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to clarify a few things because there seems to be some confusion in the responses. The fish was EXTREMELY healthy and was eating just as well as any of my other fish. It would swim back and forth across the tank constantly and had a ton of energy. I took the lights off and was cleaning the strainer on the HOB but forgot to turn it off before removing the strainer. It usually hangs out there when the lights are out and it was a mistake on my part not turning it off. It had no health issues whatsoever before this happened. What ever it was is gone now and it acts fine as far as swimming around goes just with a little less enthusiasm. It isn’t eating now but it is still swimming around and at least acts interested in food just does ingest it.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to clarify a few things because there seems to be some confusion in the responses. The fish was EXTREMELY healthy and was eating just as well as any of my other fish. It would swim back and forth across the tank constantly and had a ton of energy. I took the lights off and was cleaning the strainer on the HOB but forgot to turn it off before removing the strainer. It usually hangs out there when the lights are out and it was a mistake on my part not turning it off. It had no health issues whatsoever before this happened. What ever it was is gone now and it acts fine as far as swimming around goes just with a little less enthusiasm. It isn’t eating now but it is still swimming around and at least acts interested in food just does ingest it.
The prolapse may have retracted, but it was very extensive, more probably, it sloughed off. If it did, the fish cannot survive that for long as the intestine won’t grow back.

Jay

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck to the little guy, I hope he’s healthy enough to fight whatever it is :)

OP
OP
B

Bolen2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will let you guys know in the next couple days if anything changes. I appreciate everyone’s input.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@Jay Hemdal I cant see from the pictures - could it be eggs? - or an ovarian prolapse? neither which would be 'good'

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal I cant see from the pictures - could it be eggs? - or an ovarian prolapse? neither which would be 'good'

I don't think it is ovaries - it sure looks like intestines to me. Because I can see multiple loops and not just a simple evulsion, I'm thinking that it did not retract, and the tissue sloughed off.

I've had really poor results from pretty much all prolapses I've dealt with over the years....so, hoping that I'm wrong.

Jay

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't think it is ovaries - it sure looks like intestines to me. Because I can see multiple loops and not just a simple evulsion, I'm thinking that it did not retract, and the tissue sloughed off.

I've had really poor results from pretty much all prolapses I've dealt with over the years....so, hoping that I'm wrong.

Jay
Thanks - I could not see the pictures well

OP
OP
B

Bolen2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Bolen2 , any update?
As of now it’s still kicking. Still not eating food and it is now hiding every time I walk up to the aquarium. It would usually swim up and great me and beg for food. It looks as though the scratches on its body are starting to heal and it is swimming around well just not with the same energy it had. Still keeping my fingers crossed though I appreciate everyone’s responses and care. I will keep everyone updated as best as possible.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 62 84.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.1%
Back