Coal in your reef tank: Do you use carbon?

Do you use carbon in your reef tank?

• I regularly use carbon in my tank

Votes: 392 58.5%
  • I occasionally use carbon in my tank

Votes: 173 25.8%
  • I have used carbon in my tank in the past, but no longer use carbon

Votes: 58 8.7%
  • I have never used carbon in my tank

Votes: 47 7.0%

• Total voters

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used it in the past, but not now. Partially because I have a problem with low nutrients and there is not enough corals in my tank yet to release toxins. I might consider it when tank has got more inhabitants.

shwareefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only use it reactively. If some corals look annoyed but I can't measure anything wrong, I throw on a hangon with some carbon and/or a polyfilter. Otherwise I don't use it.

ReefHog10

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always because you never know when a kid might put their hand or something in the tank.
Or me.. (everytime I say I’m going to keep my own hands out for a while I wake up the next morning to one of the urchins having knocked over 1/2 the corals.. never fails.. ha)

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Purigen. The link between granulated carbon and HLLE is too strong to risk it. There is a good study using oceanic tangs which should be the nail in the coffin for carbon use.
I’ve tried purigen, to me didn’t appear to do much, if anything. Is there a study on purigen?

StewL6

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Brightwell Purit in mesh bag in sump for a couple weeks every couple of months. I have fough heavy metals in my tank. My SPS look a lot brighter with more vivid colors when I use it.

addictedtoreefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Coal in your reef tank: Do you use carbon?

When it comes to presents you may wistfully stare at your tank and think, “All I want for Christmas is you” or “I want a Hippopus for Christmas”, but what about your stocking? Were you on the naughty or nice list? Will you get coal in your stocking? Ok, you don’t have to answer that, but we would like to know if you put coal in your tank - I mean, in the form of carbon and carbon dosing? Anyone else use a carbon tower for their RODI water? Do you use carbon? Tell us why or why not and share your experiences.
BRS_Carbon.jpeg

Photo by @Bulk Reef Supply

If you must know, I did actually get a large hunk of coal in my stocking when I was twelve. My dad filled the Christmas stockings that we opened on Christmas Eve and my mom was in charge of the presents that we opened on Christmas morning. I got a train set on Christmas morning, but many, many years later I still remember the coal. I deserved it and my dad got his message across. I made extra sure that I was on the nice list the next year. If you do get coal this year (and a few of you probably deserve it), I hope that it comes in the form of carbon!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use carbon however the reason why isn’t for water clarity instead it’s because I have a mixed reef with 4 leathers (6 if you include Capnella in the leathers). My newest leather, a Neon Green Lobophytum, loves to shed and is currently pulling his longest shed so far. But with the carbon my Miyagi Tort doesn’t care and is wide open :)
If you’re curious, this is a close up of the leather that’s shedding currently.
32DD817C-0FDF-4FC7-B46E-88A82CE04D49.jpeg

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I’ve been told (unsure if this is true or not) that carbon tends to release phosphate after sometime, three days is all I leave it in my canister at a two weeks rotation.
Yeah, I think the level of phosphate is tiny however. Three days does seem a reasonable amount of time for carbon to be covered in bacteria however, blocking it up. I’ve not actually seen a test that uses bacteria coated carbon to see if it’s still effective.

Just as a curiosity there was a paper from years ago that tried regenerating certain types of carbon in a microwave but that was not from a saltwater tank, which probably complicates things significantly;

Weeb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One aspect of carbon/activated carbon is that for a few days or a couple of weeks (depending on quantity, size of aquarium, and organics quantity) will take on organic molecules. As sites fill of these organics the smaller 'nooks and crannies' fill with trace elements.

Keep water changes going; change carbon when it has done its organics job.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 48 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.7%
Back