Cobalt Easytherm Failure

Nanoreefboi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About an hour ago my Cobalt heater made a loud popping noise, and luckily I was able to get it out in a split second as I was already fumbling with it.

For a few months now I had been suspecting it wasn’t even heating the tank, but I brushed it off, thinking it maintained the temp of the tank during the night when the lights were off.

Today I decided to give it a clean, and when plugged in the light stayed off as usual. I left it in the tank for about an hour. I returned to the light being on, which I thought was a pleasant surprise. However, it was flickering. I tapped the heater a bit, and I saw air bubbles rise out if the casing. Suddenly, I heard a loud “pop” followed by large bubbles being emitted from the heater, along with the smell of burning plastic. I ripped it out of the socket and tossed it outside.

The tank was fine, and it has been operating without heat for months now perfectly, so I’m not worried. By the way, no hate on Cobalt Aquatics, I love their products, especially their pumps. I’m pretty sure it’s been three years since this pump’s purchase anyway, but I’m not sure. Worked wonderfully before this.

Has anyone else had a Cobalt heater fail on them? What are some good alternatives?
6AE59966-CE4C-44D9-81BC-1026549DE805.jpeg

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The early 200 watt heaters were known to fail, I heard that you are not supposed to have a controller on them, could well be an urban myth. Never plug a heater in if it is not in water. I am glad it is not worse.

allisong0823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the worst heater ever! I woke up a tank full of dead fish... boiled! The heater went crazy and the temperature is well above 90 degrees. It was a fresh water tank I had those angels for years. So angry!!!

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 44 57.1%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.5%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.9%
Back