COLONIAL HYDROIDS

chum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i set my tank up 6 months ago with brs reef saver rock and two pieces of old fiji rock that i had that was fully cured and i had for years. i noticed that the old fiji rock has some hydroids on it i was wondering if the reef saver rock are infected as well. not sure how they reproduce. i was going to remove the two fiji rocks to save the reef savers. i do not see any on the new rock. thanks for any input.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They reproduce like jelly fish do. Sending out babies. In new tanks is common to se the “Medusa stage “

Personally , without seeing the colony , I wouldn’t fret much. Some species don’t last much past the initial bloom. It’s likey that most types have eggs or cysts that can be dried out for years and once wet bloom. Than , becuse of the lack of the correct foods and possibly minerals , starve out.

OP
OP
chum

chum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They reproduce like jelly fish do. Sending out babies. In new tanks is common to se the “Medusa stage “

Personally , without seeing the colony , I wouldn’t fret much. Some species don’t last much past the initial bloom. It’s likey that most types have eggs or cysts that can be dried out for years and once wet bloom. Than , becuse of the lack of the correct foods and possibly minerals , starve out.
thanks for the info, here is a pic of what mine look like. not my tank but look just like them.
DSCN1177-1.jpg

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea. Those aren’t good. I’ve had them. I’ve had pretty good sucess just putting putty on them though.
They are filter feeders , and I feed NPS and bivalves. But still managed to contain them.

OP
OP
chum

chum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea. Those aren’t good. I’ve had them. I’ve had pretty good sucess just putting putty on them though.
They are filter feeders , and I feed NPS and bivalves. But still managed to contain them.
if i remove the two pieces of fiji rock do you think the rest is safe ? not sure if that kind just bud off each other like zoas or release eggs .

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if i remove the two pieces of fiji rock do you think the rest is safe ? not sure if that kind just bud off each other like zoas or release eggs .
They realease eggs basically. Yea you could dry out the rock and be good.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another option is to kinda starve them. They feed off particulate matter. Increasing mechanical filtration or adding more corals, they do not compete as well as corals do.

OP
OP
chum

chum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is a zoa/paly tank so i am worried they will sting them and they will close up and die. if remove the two infected pieces do you think i am safe with the other rock that shows no sign of them ? if not i may try to starve them out like Gareth suggest and leave the rock in there.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is a zoa/paly tank so i am worried they will sting them and they will close up and die. if remove the two infected pieces do you think i am safe with the other rock that shows no sign of them ? if not i may try to starve them out like Gareth suggest and leave the rock in there.

For the ones you see could also do some in tank treatment with some kalk or super glue.

Make some concentrated kalk and load in a syringe and spot treat with a couple parts of a ml. Hydroids release no toxins on death.

OP
OP
chum

chum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i ended up taking the two rocks out that had hydroids that i can see. i threw the one out and the other one i am going to dry out for a month in the sun and than freeze it for a month and than recure it. i do not see any on my other rocks so far.

trummer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

OK , great , thanks , will do the removal on my next water change

Fennel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have those on a snail shell I just isolated... What is the name of them?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back