Colonial hydroids?

Kimberely

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've scraped these off multiple times and they keep growing back so...if you can't beat them, feed them! Lol. Are they colonial hydroids? Sorry for the lousy cell phone picture.
1217191413a.jpg

BloopFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is only the one spot. It's not aiptasia. At first I thought they were vermetid snails because of the little tubes but vermetids don't have a fan like head like these...I think.
You also do appear to have vermetid snails in between the polyps, as well as bubble algae.

OP
OP
Kimberely

Kimberely

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You also do appear to have vermetid snails in between the polyps, as well as bubble algae.
[/QUOT

I do have a bubble or two here and there. It hasn't spread but I can't seem to completely eliminate it. Thanks for the help. I've been debating taking a chisel and removing that piece of rock.

nkyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like hydroids to me. Can you take another pic with more white lights? I've had them in my tank at various times. I've had some luck covering them with epoxy or using F-Aiptasia. Nothing has been a 100% though.

OP
OP
Kimberely

Kimberely

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I screwed that reply up...oops
Thanks. I've been debating using a chisel to remove that little piece of rock. And yeah, I have a tiny bit of bubble algae. It hasn't spread but I can't seem to completely eliminate it.

OP
OP
Kimberely

Kimberely

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like hydroids to me. Can you take another pic with more white lights? I've had them in my tank at various times. I've had some luck covering them with epoxy or using F-Aiptasia. Nothing has been a 100% though.
I'll try when I get home. I'm on my lunch break at work at the moment.

BloopFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on the texture and how fast it grew back when you scraped it, I'd say it does look more like colonial hydroids. It would be easier to identify once you take the white pics like nkyreef said.

OP
OP
Kimberely

Kimberely

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on the texture and how fast it grew back when you scraped it, I'd say it does look more like colonial hydroids. It would be easier to identify once you take the white pics like nkyreef said.
I'll update the thread with a better picture tonight. They grow fast. I last scraped them off about 3 months ago and the colony has already grown bigger than a silver dollar.

Florida Sunshine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Colonial Hydroids for sure. If you can remove the rock then do so. If you can chisel the rock and remove the hydroids.
I had to bleach my rocks to remove them. Anything else, they came right back.

OP
OP
Kimberely

Kimberely

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Colonial Hydroids for sure. If you can remove the rock then do so. If you can chisel the rock and remove the hydroids.
I had to bleach my rocks to remove them. Anything else, they came right back.
Thank you. I'll pull it out this weekend and chisel off that section. The other end of that piece of rock has some whamm'n watermelon zoas so I can't bleach it or I would have already. Lol

LARedstickreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t chisel them off, use some reef weld epoxy. It’s super easy to cover them in it and then pry it off the rock a month later.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 73 34.8%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 56 26.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 66 31.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.8%
Back