Compact Ball valve for PVC Manifold

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been searching for few weeks both at the hardware store and online for some good compact ball valves 3/4" PVC schedule 40.. $10-20 range thats low profile and easier to turn. $100 on ball valves is not really an option anymore and union ball fittings is not really worth the expense for this portion of the plumbing - I've got enough everywhere else. Simple thread makes more sense for connection and if I wanted to replace them. Any recommendation please share

This one is good but cheap and I can see it will be difficult to adjust
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0046HAAUI/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

This one is ideal but pricey and not really from a trusted site

https://jet.com/product/detail/698f...289462_pla-161715655020:na:na:na:2&code=PLA15

OP
OP
Ashish Patel

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered from PVC fittings. I ordered the compact ball valves with 3/4" thread. I have the space but rather not include 3 large unions over my sump.

OP
OP
Ashish Patel

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the plumbing.. Highly recommend the ball valves

20170318_151458.jpg

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use the True Union Ball Valves! Available at BRS, Marine Depot & PVC Fittings online.

I learned long time ago to use the union ball valves. My first manifold I installed just ball valves (glued them in) and within a year I couldn't turn some. Used higher end ones to boot! Had to cut the entire manifold out and replace them, this time with union ball valves. If they go bad now, no problem, just shut of my return and unscrew and replace. Way better! Food for thought.

With the ones you have, you could always put unions before the ball valves so they can be removed without cutting the manifold. but if you go union ball valves in the future, the union ball valve fittings may not match the glued in union fitting. You would have to then cut the whole thing out and start again like i did. JMTCW.

OP
OP
Ashish Patel

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I learned long time ago to use the union ball valves. My first manifold I installed just ball valves (glued them in) and within a year I couldn't turn some. Used higher end ones to boot! Had to cut the entire manifold out and replace them, this time with union ball valves. If they go bad now, no problem, just shut of my return and unscrew and replace. Way better! Food for thought.

With the ones you have, you could always put unions before the ball valves so they can be removed without cutting the manifold. but if you go union ball valves in the future, the union ball valve fittings may not match the glued in union fitting. You would have to then cut the whole thing out and start again like i did. JMTCW.

Honestly I wanted to go that rout but even with my current setup I spend over $300 on the over flow and plumbing parts. The 3 ball valves I got are removable as they are FIPT fitting and I used a 3/4 nipple to connect them to a T (2 X 1" slip and 1 x 3/4 FIPT thread fitting). So worst case I can always spin them off.. I would not make manifold unless I could remove the valves so I guess it works out for me price wise.

OP
OP
Ashish Patel

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you can tell more from this angle. I like the low profile of these valves and I can tell they will not get stuck like the ones I've used in the past that could barely turn out the box. These where $4 each and i got 5

20170316_005350.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 39.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 52 34.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back