Compound

Twins Dragonz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi everyone,

Can anyone point out what compound/putty that is reef safe. I'm trying to construct rockscape the way I wanted, so I need what is to use to glue the rocks together.
Tia

Jisko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just use an epoxy like one of the following

you can also use epoxy from lowes or other hardware stores just make sure its safe... I used a cheap stick from lowes for my entire rock scape... now I just use one of the ones below when adding a new coral... put the frag on a rubble piece then epoxy the rubble to a section I like

https://www.amazon.com/Instant-Ocea...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=X0A4N12DYT502Q3DE8KS

https://www.amazon.com/Two-Little-F...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=EMRTRCWJKD9BQCZZDYDT

EDIT:

just a warning... the skimmer will go crazzyyyyy

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could also go to HD (or Lowes) and pick up RectorSeal Epoxy Putty....that's what I use.
5134343e-b08e-49e8-a56c-c9dd6f40490d_1000.jpg

Jisko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Twins Dragonz

Twins Dragonz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah my father used this... thing he used two sticks of it actually haha and carbon fiber rods... but he didnt have a problem with anything crumbling
It won't crumble in dry, but when it's contact with water, it getting softer.

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are so many options.
marcorocks.com has a concrete based mix that would blend well.
Many different 2-part epoxy products for the hobby (check marinedepot and bulkreefsupply). Some are more sticky than others. Often it's about encasing something rather than sticking to it.
SuperGlue gels work well for sticking. IC-GEL is popular.
Then there is the newest thing - moldable plastic. Some made for the hobby, but also available as "Friendly Plastic" or "Instamorph".

Larry L

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then there is the newest thing - moldable plastic. Some made for the hobby, but also available as "Friendly Plastic" or "Instamorph".

I was going to suggest this too. I always used to use the epoxy sticks from Home Depot, until I tried a sample of the moldable plastic, and it's so much nicer I'm not going back to epoxy. Easy to work with, sets up hard, no smell or skimmer overfoaming, reheat it to reshape, etc. Works great for attaching frags too. There are some name-brand products at the various online aquarium suppliers, but you can also just look on e.g. Amazon for "thermoplastic beads".

OP
OP
Twins Dragonz

Twins Dragonz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to suggest this too. I always used to use the epoxy sticks from Home Depot, until I tried a sample of the moldable plastic, and it's so much nicer I'm not going back to epoxy. Easy to work with, sets up hard, no smell or skimmer overfoaming, reheat it to reshape, etc. Works great for attaching frags too. There are some name-brand products at the various online aquarium suppliers, but you can also just look on e.g. Amazon for "thermoplastic beads".
Is this the one Larry.

IMG_1762.PNG

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's one. There are many. I haven't worked with it myself but without any color it sets up white just like the beads. Keep that in mind.

ithk21620

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want something for your aquascape and you plan to build the rock structure out of the tank you want to go with Marcorock's kit. Hands down the best thing I have used for aquascaping. If you plan to aquascape in the tank while there is water in it then I would go with any of the other epoxy that was suggested.

http://www.marcorocks.com/aquascape-supplies/e-marco-400/

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 42 48.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 46 52.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • None.

Votes: 22 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.3%
Back