Connector for LED

bui

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm ready to order my LEDS for a 240 LEDS light setup. Plan to go with XM-L and XT-E LEDs. Everything is plan out but still have a few questions before I could finalize my project.

I have plenty of 22Gauge wire laying around, is that good enought for wiring the LEDs or do I need to go with lower gauge.
Also I have 8 large heat sink with White LEDS, Blue LEDs, Violet LEDs and a fan attach to it. Is there a quick release type of connection that im able to connect all the component mention earlier to one or two connection. (prefer it to be cheap and waterproof but not holding my breath on that one)

Thank in advance for any help or lead you may provide.

hlem

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go to any used computer store, ask for DEAD power supplies, use those connections. It's free, and works prefectly, just need to use some electrical tape for them.

ReefLEDLights

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use stranded wire not solid unless you are using solderless connectors. Our preferred size of stranded wire for soldering is 18g.

OP
OP
B

bui

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought of that but was hopping for maybe a 8 pin type of connection, so I could put it in one connection.

Go to any used computer store, ask for DEAD power supplies, use those connections. It's free, and works prefectly, just need to use some electrical tape for them.

hlem

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought of that but was hopping for maybe a 8 pin type of connection, so I could put it in one connection.

Isnt there like a 16 pin connector somewhere in a power supply?

ReefLEDLights

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so 22G is a no, right?

18-22 stranded works. We just prefer 18 stranded for soldering and 20ga solid for the solderless connectors.

As far as connectors go make sure they are solid. A loose connector may cause the driver to surge and damage your LEDs.

Bill

jaytizzle

Fish Pro
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used 20ga solid for my solderless connectors and it worked great!

For connections, I've just used insulated spade terminal connectors. They work great and are easy to work with. Not exactly waterproof but they should be fine as long as you're not dunking them in the water.

OP
OP
B

bui

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone, I will probaly stick to 20gauge to make working with the wire easier and still looking for a quick connector but if all fail...I go with Jaytizzle and go with a spade terminal.

ReefLEDLights

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its on the simpler side, but lots of folks have been using the medusa terminal block.

-Rick

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back