Consider starting new forum?

Ocean live rock tanks are very different than those started with dry rock?

• Yes, the issues facing ocean live rock vs dry rock are very different

Votes: 10 58.8%
  • No, both methods are basically the same

Votes: 7 41.2%

• Total voters

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well let’s see, all the tanks I’ve started with live rock. For me it was mostly I wanted all the flora and fauna that comes from that. But as has been shown dry rock has started many a reef. Both have their conveniences and cons but honestly I think that it comes down to personal preference. If I ever do a larger tank (90+ gallons) I might just try a mix, so as to get the best of both . Like use live base rock for kickstarting the cycle and dry for aquascaping.

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think a sub forum is necessary. I’m a proponent of live rock, it’s what I have in all my tanks. However a separate forum isn’t going to stop the dry rock guys from saying “well that’s what you get for buying live rock” or “if you started with dry rock…” or whatever the case may be. Live rock in my opinion only gives you the necessary bacteria to combat many beginning issues dry rock users have but even with live you can still get hair algae, Dino’s (I’ve had them but it was short lived), and any other nasty that dry rock users can experience. Just my opinion.

C4ctus99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imagine the difference in your tank if you had rocks picked from the ocean and in just days, if not hours later, sent directly to your door. The petco stuff wouldn’t even be comparable!

I just envision a “ocean live rock” mini forum placed under “general aquarium discussion”.
Back at the end of January I got base coralline rock from salty bottom reef and that was the best thing I ever did, got a free sea star, crab, and amphipods galore. Helped a ton! I can’t fill up my new tank with it as it is cost prohibitive, but if I had the funds I 100% would.

What about something like I mentioned earlier? I don’t know that live rock is a big or got enough topic for it’s own sub forum per se, but I do believe that it would be beneficial to have a forum including that, TTM, non QT, biodiversity theory, etc. it’s not always easy for me to find information on all these (yes, I use the search feature) cause it is all scattered about in various threads. It would be nice to have sticky’s with all of these alternative methods somewhere collected for easy access, sorting, and reading.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Mods! It seems to me that maybe it’s time to start a special forum section for ocean liverock related questions and methods. considering how completely different it is to start with dry rock vs ocean live rock I find that it’s sometimes difficult for the members to provide relevant information. Personally I believe having a forum for ocean liverock related questions and topics could go a long way in helping members receive the proper advice more quickly. I also believe an added benefit would be a reduction in dry rock VS ocean liverock bickering that high jacks many threads. Thanks for your consideration!
I think it need thread or threads but not a forum. I notice the "A conversation about tank reef vs. ocean reef" has no reply for the last month. "The Biodiversity- Starting completely sterile vs natural stuff" thread has no new reply to the last months It is likely that the new forum would have very few visits and thread.

OP
OP
Sump Crab

Sump Crab

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it need thread or threads but not a forum. I notice the "A conversation about tank reef vs. ocean reef" has no reply for the last month. "The Biodiversity- Starting completely sterile vs natural stuff" thread has no new reply to the last months It is likely that the new forum would have very few visits and thread.

I appreciate your point and it does seem valid but I think that threads are easily lost and forgotten about, perhaps a sticky thread or two would suffice.

I just feel that a forum for the overall use of ocean liverock would be beneficial to this site. I think it will provide a space for all topics ocean live rock to be discussed, from recommending vendors to discussing its use.

Most importantly I believe it will help highlight a very tried and true reef keeping method that has kinda been lost when it comes to new people joining the hobby. I honestly and full heartedly believe that highlighting ocean rock and it’s benefits would be very positive for the hobby in general.

It’s just that I see thread after thread of people wanting to quit the hobby because it’s too hard or because their tank has been over run by algae or a pest and I truly believe that many of these people who decided to quit may not have if they had started a tank with ocean live rock instead. Perhaps if there was a place for new people to easily find and research ocean liverock and its benefits they would have never had that terrible experience that led them to quit the hobby.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there is a "Live Rock" forum, shouldn't there also be a "Dry Rock" forum? Then might it make more sense to just have a "Rock" forum?

OP
OP
Sump Crab

Sump Crab

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyways, judging by the replies it seems like most think this is a real dumb idea - which is fine. I just had to throw it out there and am glad I did. I’ll politely tuck my tail between my legs and ride off into the sunset lol.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back