Consistent & Easy way to Kalk Dose?

Stevorino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there friends -

I'm really trying to become more consistent with the Alkalinity in my tank. I currently have a 150g Freshwater Reserve that I use to auto-top off. Whenever I fill it up with fresh RODI water (less than once a month), I also put in Kalkwasser.

This method has been inconsistent for me and I find myself using a lot of BRS 2-Part to fill the gaps.

Before I pull the trigger on a Reef Octopus KS150 Kalk Stirrer ($340!?).... I would love to read recommendations on a consistent & relatively automatic way to dose Kalkwasser. Ideally I would adjust it less than twice a month.

Thanks in advance!

OP
OP
Stevorino

Stevorino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a toms aqua lifter and a separate 5 gallon container, I mix it 2 tsp/gallon and have my apex outlet cycle it on every hour.

Thanks for the fast reply! This would save me $340 as I have all of this handy....

- How long does that 5g container last you?
- Do you stir after initial mixing?
- Where do you place outlet tubing? Inch or so above bottom?
- Lid on?

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found it easiest to seperate it from the ATO altogether. Evap rates vary too much losing a lot more water in winter with the heat on vs. summer and the AC going. 5 gallon bucket mixed to saturation with a dosing pump for delivery, adjust as needed and let the seperate ATO cover the rest of the top off. Ive never used a stirrer or re-mixed the bucket after the initial mixing. 5 gallons last me 13 days but I use mostly for PH control using 2 part for the rest of my needs.

wcharon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Equal here. I use Kalk separate and via a Doser and 2 part for Alk and Calcium.

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the fast reply! This would save me $340 as I have all of this handy....

- How long does that 5g container last you?
- Do you stir after initial mixing?
- Where do you place outlet tubing? Inch or so above bottom?
- Lid on?
I don’t stir, I placed the tubing about an inch off the bottom and it has a lid. It lasts a long time since I keep my alk at 7.5 and don’t have enough demand yet, a lot of my sps are still on the smaller side. Probably last at least a month I would say if I had to guess, but I refill when it gets half empty.

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you just add kalkwasser to water until you get a precipitate or do you add a particular amount?
I dump 4 gallons RODI into the bucket. The the last gallon goes into a jug where I add 100ml of vinegar and 10 teaspoons of kalk - shake into a slurry then pour into the bucket while mixing. Let it sit a few hours and you're good to go. I found it quicker to shake up the 1 gallon jug than stir the 5 gallon bucket but either way works. You'll get some precipitate but thats normal.

mknightryder

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had better consistency with kalk since adding an Avast Marine K1 stirrer paired with their peralstaltic pump. Dosing a set amount of lime water daily has really helped me get things dialed in. I still dose BRS 2part daily, but not near as much 2parts are needed because of the kalkwasser. It's really easy and cheap! The Avast products have been frickin' bullet proof!
For the first 2 to 3 yrs of reefing, I'd let the ATO w/ Toms aqualifter add limewater to the tank. It worked, But params would get out of whack more whenever the ac would run more/less. And if I had a big growth spurt I'd have to boost things along with 2 part. Heck, I noticed that the ceiling fan in the next room running would cause just a bit more evaporation in the tank which would cause an increase in limewater added... It was a no-brainer adding a doser to dose the kalk. The stirrer is nice, But isn't needed. Just fill a reservoir with water and enough kalk to saturate and let the doser pull out of that.
To give you an idea: In my 150g mixed reef I dose 3,000mls of limewater daily. Plus, 130 mls of sodium bicarbonate and 100 mls of calcium chloride daily as well...
HTH! Good Luck!

OP
OP
Stevorino

Stevorino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much for the replies, friends - I'll be putting this together tomorrow - I really appreciate all the great advice & feedback!

OP
OP
Stevorino

Stevorino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dump 4 gallons RODI into the bucket. The the last gallon goes into a jug where I add 100ml of vinegar and 10 teaspoons of kalk - shake into a slurry then pour into the bucket while mixing. Let it sit a few hours and you're good to go. I found it quicker to shake up the 1 gallon jug than stir the 5 gallon bucket but either way works. You'll get some precipitate but thats normal.

This is the first I had read about dosing vinegar w/ the Kalkwasser. After a quick read elsewhere on the board - it seems to help the concentration of Kalkwasser and is a carbon source.

I'm going to try this approach regardless, but interested to hear if you tried without vinegar first and what differences you saw once adding vinegar?

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the first I had read about dosing vinegar w/ the Kalkwasser. After a quick read elsewhere on the board - it seems to help the concentration of Kalkwasser and is a carbon source.

I'm going to try this approach regardless, but interested to hear if you tried without vinegar first and what differences you saw once adding vinegar?
I’ve only mixed once without the vinegar when i had run out. Didnt notice anything different but still choose to use it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 17.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 53 53.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.0%
Back