OP
OP
J

jakeb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My theory is that you’ve misidentified it like I did and it is actually bryopsis. Look very very closely and if there is any branching at all in the algae it’s bryopsis.

It’s a pain to remove your chaeto, but treat it again with Reef Flux, maybe multiple times over the next few months. I spent a year of my life thinking that I sucked at reefing because my nutrients weren’t that high but the green hair algae seemed unbeatable. Then I realized to my dismay that I never even had green hair algae!
Here are some close up photos (I turned the lights to 100% white for the photo). Am I right in thinking it is GHA?

IMG_20220504_123603.jpg
IMG_20220504_123628.jpg

IMG_20220504_123706.jpg
IMG_20220504_123852.jpg

Gedxin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure looks like GHA to me. Exactly how mine appears. Also have had a problem with my invertebrates dying too. I'd say about 80% of whatever I add dies in 1-3 weeks. I know I have Ostreopsis dinos though, so that's an obvious problem and toxic for inverts. I don't see any dinos in your tank though, so that's even stranger that yours perish.

damaneice

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was battling bad GHA. But once I got made an ATS it was gone in 2 or 3 weeks.

OP
OP
J

jakeb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still cleaning the rocks every 2 or 3 weeks, and I'm waiting for an order of phyto and magnesium. My wife has told me it's growing back slower, but that might be to stop me moaning about it.

I was battling bad GHA. But once I got made an ATS it was gone in 2 or 3 weeks.

ATS's don't seemed to be used much in the UK. I've been reading up on making them, and I've found a decent guide on a UK forum. I just don't have the time to commit to making one at the minute - hopefully that will change in a month or two.

Until I have time to make one, a media reactor with rowaphos will have to do.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jakeb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure looks like GHA to me. Exactly how mine appears. Also have had a problem with my invertebrates dying too. I'd say about 80% of whatever I add dies in 1-3 weeks. I know I have Ostreopsis dinos though, so that's an obvious problem and toxic for inverts. I don't see any dinos in your tank though, so that's even stranger that yours perish.
I'm sorry to hear you're having :crying-face: What nutrient export are you using?

OP
OP
J

jakeb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe it is GHA as I haven't noticed any branching, but it's very possible that I have misidentified it. I will upload a close up photo when the lights come on tomorrow.

It seems like I have had a similar experience losing inverts as @djf91 and @Chrisv. (although I haven't dosed vibrant). I've tried to tell the difference between lyngbya and GHA in the past, but haven't been able to. Is there an easy way to tell the difference between the two?

Thank you all for the help with this, if anyone has any more ideas, please let me know :) Assuming I haven't misidentified bryopsis or lyngbya as GHA, I think I will do the following:
  • Keep cleaning rocks with a toothbrush and siphon. Keep removing smaller rocks to clean, but start using hydrogen peroxide (avoiding corals).
  • Raise magnesium to 1500
  • Dose live phyto
If magnesium and phyto helps, great. If it doesn't, I will look at using FluxRX and/or hydrogen peroxide again. And look at a DIY ATS and/or UV.
It's been a few months since my last message and despite trying various things, I'm more less in the same situation.
  • Cleaning rock with a toothbrush and siphon (roughly once a month) - it helps, but algae come back quickly.
  • Hydrogen peroxide on rocks. I ran a few tests on different rocks and had the following results. It was a bit pointless to be honest, as I can't remove 80% of my rock work.
    • Removed algae and peroxide on rock for 5 minutes - algae was slower to come back, but only by around a week
    • Peroxide on algae for 10 minutes (no algae removal) - very similar to algae removal
    • Removed algae (no peroxide) - very similar to peroxide
    • Left rock alone
  • Raised magnesium to 1500 - no impact
  • Dosing live phyto - no impact
  • Added algae scrubber - has been running for 1.5 months now - growing algae but no difference in display tank (probably needs longer)
I bought another sea hare two weeks ago, and it died today :( All fish and corals are all healthy, so I don't think it is a water quality issue.

I'm a bit stuck now, I'm really not sure what I can try next...

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been a few months since my last message and despite trying various things, I'm more less in the same situation.
  • Cleaning rock with a toothbrush and siphon (roughly once a month) - it helps, but algae come back quickly.
  • Hydrogen peroxide on rocks. I ran a few tests on different rocks and had the following results. It was a bit pointless to be honest, as I can't remove 80% of my rock work.
    • Removed algae and peroxide on rock for 5 minutes - algae was slower to come back, but only by around a week
    • Peroxide on algae for 10 minutes (no algae removal) - very similar to algae removal
    • Removed algae (no peroxide) - very similar to peroxide
    • Left rock alone
  • Raised magnesium to 1500 - no impact
  • Dosing live phyto - no impact
  • Added algae scrubber - has been running for 1.5 months now - growing algae but no difference in display tank (probably needs longer)
I bought another sea hare two weeks ago, and it died today :( All fish and corals are all healthy, so I don't think it is a water quality issue.

I'm a bit stuck now, I'm really not sure what I can try next...
Manual cleaning once a month isn't going to cut it no pun intended. I was pulling clumps out daily. Did you add some turbos and tuxedo urchins?

OP
OP
J

jakeb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a tuxedo urchin that picks at some of it, but not loads. It seems more interested in trying to find some coralline (which doesn't really bother me). Any snails and inverts eat the algae well for a few weeks, and then start slowing down to the point they stop moving and die.

It seems like a water quality issue, but fish and corals are fine, and past ICP tests are fine.

I wish I had the time to clean it more :( It takes hours to properly clean, and with work and a young family it's a struggle to get a solid few hours to clean it.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a tuxedo urchin that picks at some of it, but not loads. It seems more interested in trying to find some coralline (which doesn't really bother me). Any snails and inverts eat the algae well for a few weeks, and then start slowing down to the point they stop moving and die.

It seems like a water quality issue, but fish and corals are fine, and past ICP tests are fine.

I wish I had the time to clean it more :( It takes hours to properly clean, and with work and a young family it's a struggle to get a solid few hours to clean it.
I used to hand place my urchins in the middle of the jungle and force them to eat their way out.

OP
OP
J

jakeb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to hand place my urchins in the middle of the jungle and force them to eat their way out.
Haha, I like it! I'd find it difficult to put mine in a place without algae! :face-with-hand-over-mouth: It is an odd animal though. It will crawl over tonnes of algae, to go eat identical looking algae on the over side of the tank.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha, I like it! I'd find it difficult to put mine in a place without algae! :face-with-hand-over-mouth: It is an odd animal though. It will crawl over tonnes of algae, to go eat identical looking algae on the over side of the tank.
I used 3 urchins and 2 turbos as my primary cleaners but had trochus and cerith too. You need to try and do 5 or 10 minutes of manual pull out daily. Just grab out the big easy to reach clumps.

paintman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once again it looks like another hobbyist being led down the CUC rabbit hole. Please stop killing these creatures. You are your own best CUC! All you need is a toothbrush, turkey baster, conviction, and most impotantly a power filter. And when I say conviction I don't mean once a month. I mean 2-3 times a week!

OP
OP
J

jakeb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once again it looks like another hobbyist being led down the CUC rabbit hole. Please stop killing these creatures. You are your own best CUC! All you need is a toothbrush, turkey baster, conviction, and most impotantly a power filter. And when I say conviction I don't mean once a month. I mean 2-3 times a week!
Don't worry, other than my recent failure at keeping a sea hare, I haven't bought any new CUC since March (I think - I only started keeping notes on dates of new additions in March).

I have previously cleaned it weekly (for several months), with no more success. Unfortunately I am not able to spend 2 or 3 hours cleaning rock multiple times a week, do my part looking after two young children and have a busy job - I know what two of these three I will choose.

I usually siphon it in to my filter socks and clean it afterwards. I hadn't heard of power filters before, but I can see how they would help. I'll have a bit of a read tonight. Thanks

Manual cleaning once a month isn't going to cut it no pun intended. I was pulling clumps out daily. Did you add some turbos and tuxedo urchins?
I might have do another proper clean and then try to spend a small amount of time each day removing algae instead.

I know it may seem irrelevant but check out this amazing series by Eric Birneman which may help: http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-07/eb/index.htm
Seems like an interesting article. I'll have a read tonight.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 146 60.6%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 66 27.4%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 85 35.3%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.8%
  • Other

Votes: 66 27.4%

Back