Controller(s) for nano reef!

victoriaxoxo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys! about a month ago I purchased a Fluval Evo 13.5, I have pretty much outlined everything I want to add/Modify to this tank from equipment to livestock. I'm purchasing things as I go about my research and I'm taking this as slowly and patiently as possible. I have been in the saltwater gang before but it's been years since my last tank and there's so much new cool equipment that comes out every year that it makes me feel like a complete newbie lol. I have decided to stick to the essentials and nothing crazy or ''tested'' enough to my liking (amount of reviews I've seen haven't been sufficient). Anyways, enough rambling lol - I travel out of state quite often, and I leave for 1 week at a time, maybe once a month or every other month. Even though I have someone who I trust to feed my future tank, id like to get a controller where I can see what's going on in my tank without being home. Id just like to check my PH, Temp, maybe control a few things like my light. Maybe its overkill for such a tiny tank, but the peace of mind it would give me while I'm away would be tremendous. Even though I'm expecting a controller to cost more than my entire build LOL what would you recommend?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Not overkill. A reef keeper lite with SLI MODULE WILL DO THE TRICK or apex junior with a PM1 for ph probe will also work.
Both have 4 outlets which are expandable byo 8 more outlets

eea60123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefkeeper is out of business so it could be hard to find what you want and you won’t see any type of upgrades. Apex is pretty standard but there are cheaper options such as WiFi enabled power strips and ph, temp, and overflow sensors that can turn equipment off in case of failure but their lower cost won’t let you monitor them via an app. Kasa makes a WiFi surge protector and Milwaukee and Auto Aqua makes a few different controllers. You may be able to integrate the WiFi strip with the other controllers to do what you want, but you’ll have to research and decide on pricing and viability.

OP
OP
victoriaxoxo

victoriaxoxo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefkeeper is out of business so it could be hard to find what you want and you won’t see any type of upgrades. Apex is pretty standard but there are cheaper options such as WiFi enabled power strips and ph, temp, and overflow sensors that can turn equipment off in case of failure but their lower cost won’t let you monitor them via an app. Kasa makes a WiFi surge protector and Milwaukee and Auto Aqua makes a few different controllers. You may be able to integrate the WiFi strip with the other controllers to do what you want, but you’ll have to research and decide on pricing and viability.

I was just about to mention that I couldn't find those anywhere:(. I've done a little bit of digging, at least for controlling lights, and someone on another site (nano-reef.com) mentioned using WeMo mini smart plugs as you are able to turn equipment on and off via wifi & I just found a pack of 3 for $50 on Amazon which is actually really good! I have bought an ATO (smart micro whatever its called loool) but I don't know what I could get to check my ph & salinity at least. as for temp, I could just get a temp controller and just suck it up that I wouldn't be able to read it unless im home.. however, I did come up with the idea of using a baby monitor just to read it hahaha! :D Apex is $800;Dead even though it would be worth it and i would actually consider it, its still way more than my 500$-600$ build LOL

OP
OP
victoriaxoxo

victoriaxoxo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kasa Smart WiFi Power Strip by TP-Link - 6 Outlet Surge Protection, Works with Alexa Echo & Google (HS300)
For a small tank this power strip is perfect

been watching youtube vids on it since you mentioned it hahah :D comparing it to the WeMo

bluprntguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GHL ProfiLux Mini WiFi will likely do everything that you are looking to do. It’s main limit is that it can only control four electrical outlets.

Black version linked it also comes in white.

eea60123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know if I’d worry about PH unles you plan on a lot of SPS and want better growth or you are worried about overdosing kalk or alkalinity. I have a mixed reef with a majority of SPS and I don’t worry about PH control, but to each their own. A temp sensor could save your tank if a heater gets stuck on, but a $60 sensor could prevent that. The overflow sensor would also prevent too much fresh water going into your tank if the ATO fails. With your ATO and a big enough reservoir(but not too big) your salinity will be fine. I have a reefkeeper and really don’t monitor anything. I know my normal sump level and just do regular testing. I’ve been reefing for about 12 years and currently have a 220 without using a controller. I would like one to control a few things but haven’t justified the money yet.

OP
OP
victoriaxoxo

victoriaxoxo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know if I’d worry about PH unles you plan on a lot of SPS and want better growth or you are worried about overdosing kalk or alkalinity. I have a mixed reef with a majority of SPS and I don’t worry about PH control, but to each their own. A temp sensor could save your tank if a heater gets stuck on, but a $60 sensor could prevent that. The overflow sensor would also prevent too much fresh water going into your tank if the ATO fails. With your ATO and a big enough reservoir(but not too big) your salinity will be fine. I have a reefkeeper and really don’t monitor anything. I know my normal sump level and just do regular testing. I’ve been reefing for about 12 years and currently have a 220 without using a controller. I would like one to control a few things but haven’t justified the money yet.

I plan on doing a mixed not really dominated by either but i have a fairly large list of corals I plan on putting in lol! it just kind of overwhelms me the fact that things can go pretty bad very fast in such a small body of water. Especially since I won't be home all of the time :( and wow 220 gallons!? :eek:

OP
OP
victoriaxoxo

victoriaxoxo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Although out of business, plenty of units out there. Not unusual to see a like new system for $70. Im an Apex person but have hung on to one of the RK units because of its' reliability and ease of setup. Apex jr units with display around $150

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you look into a seneye? They will do what you want plus as a addition I would also add a reef cam to make sure the babysitters not overfeeding the tank

OP
OP
victoriaxoxo

victoriaxoxo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you look into a seneye? They will do what you want plus as a addition I would also add a reef cam to make sure the babysitters not overfeeding the tank
I'm lucky enough to have a baby sitter with experience! hes had a reef tank before and also takes care of all my other exotic critters such as my African servals even though they intimidate him a bit hahaha:D. ive looked into the seneyes but I just don't like them :( i haven't read such good experiences with them either plus i think they are a monitor more than a controller i believe? :(
0.jpeg

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm lucky enough to have a baby sitter with experience! hes had a reef tank before and also takes care of all my other exotic critters such as my African servals even though they intimidate him a bit hahaha:D. ive looked into the seneyes but I just don't like them :( i haven't read such good experiences with them either plus i think they are a monitor more than a controller i believe? :(
0.jpeg
that’s a big cat, you migh wanna add a heavy lid to the list. Nothing wrong monitoring, some people do prefer monitoring to a computer as you get less chances to be hacked and finding out someone been playing with your settings. Normally thugs run better send there’s no one to mess around with the tank, but if anything was to happen the monitor would warn you that something is wrong and you could ask your sitter to act on it.

Iván Olalla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+2 on the reefkeeper, reliable and cheap... i use one in my pico reef that controls temp of heather/chiller/fans, ATO, lights, skimmer, wavemaker, doser and monitors temp, ph and orp...in case my ph goes over 8.6 the controller cuts power to the kalk doser... a nice basic setup on ebay goes for 80-150

You can check my build thread if you like, overstocked hi tech pico reef lol

OP
OP
victoriaxoxo

victoriaxoxo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that’s a big cat, you migh wanna add a heavy lid to the list. Nothing wrong monitoring, some people do prefer monitoring to a computer as you get less chances to be hacked and finding out someone been playing with your settings. Normally thugs run better send there’s no one to mess around with the tank, but if anything was to happen the monitor would warn you that something is wrong and you could ask your sitter to act on it.
Shes not an actual cat, shes a serval (wild african animal lol) which would be worse if she could actually touch my tank since one blow with her huge paws could mess everything up:D shes only around in my house if shes under supervision by me only, she cant be around my dogs, cats,HUMANS (unless its me, not even my S.O can pet her), or even any of my other pets as she is a wild African predator, if not shes in a completely escape-proof outdoor enclosure. she will be NOWHERE near my tank (actually learned that normal house cats and tanks dont mix the hard way which is why i got out of the hobby years ago in the first place). And do people actually hack into those?! thats crazy! the thing that actually pulled me away from seneyes (before reading your comment) was that its used with a computer since I never really travel with mine. however, upon more youtube video watching, i do like the fact that it reports ammonia aswell

OP
OP
victoriaxoxo

victoriaxoxo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+2 on the reefkeeper, reliable and cheap... i use one in my pico reef that controls temp of heather/chiller/fans, ATO, lights, skimmer, wavemaker, doser and monitors temp, ph and orp...in case my ph goes over 8.6 the controller cuts power to the kalk doser... a nice basic setup on ebay goes for 80-150

high tech and overstocked?! woo! sounds like me :D thing about reefkeeper is i could only find 1 on ebay :( the price is right (80$) however its up for auction which i hate :mad: id buy it in a heartbeat https://www.ebay.com/itm/Reefkeeper-Lite/202796675253?hash=item2f379fb0b5:g:-7wAAOSwkeZdnkuX

OP
OP
victoriaxoxo

victoriaxoxo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

it also worries me if something broke where would i even find a replacement :(

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back