Controlling Viparspectra Lights with Apex

unchaotic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going through @Michael Lane's post about controlling Mars Aqua lights to allow them to ramp up and down. A litlle while into the discussion the topic starts to turn towards Viparspectra lights being controlled by a Reef-Pi system. Michael sells adapters for this purpose and I was contemplating going down that road but decided that I have enough to learn as a new reef keeper and so I chose to buy an Apex.

The problem with this purchase is that while a Reef-Pi can natively handle PWM, the Apex uses a 10v analog signal. So I found a thread on a Neptune forum that pointed me to this adapter. I am not savvy with all of this led circuit board stuff so I had some questions for the seller. The installation instructions were not Viparspectra specific and so when they reference leaving wires connected to the control dials I became concerned that this adapter won't work for the current remote controlled/digital display lights.
Screenshot from 2021-04-01 20-13-55.png

I emailed their tech support and the guy who replied said he knew nothing about Vipar lights.

So I'm just kind of hanging here. I'm not knowledgeable enough about these things to figure it out myself. I really do like doing research but so much of this just flies over my head. And so I'm posting this here to see if anyone wants to take a whack at it, or see if anyone else has already managed to do this.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I own the mars aqua lights. Don't know if I'd go poking around in them. Had it open to clean them out before. Not the highest quality stuff in there.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks to be "all in 1" on this part version
Fans controller drivers fan power..
(Note pic looks to just be driver. I assumed something different. Ignore the above)

Last edited:
OP
OP
unchaotic

unchaotic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, but that thread also went the reef-pi route.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, but that thread also went the reef-pi route.
Doesn' t matter particularly until you figure out " if" it's easy to extract just the pwm signal.
Changing apex to whatever it uses isn't difficult.
Easiest it to replace the entire control/ driver board.

Over time there have been probably a dozen iterations of these and like lights and 2x that of people messing with them.
;)

Somewhere here I posted replacement drivers w 10v analog dimming and a 12v fan circuit .

Last edited:

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Old reefbreeders version of controller Viparspectra.
picture.php

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bottom line.. Without knowing the construction of "your" model it's impossible to tell what you need.
Most black boxes run a 10V analog dimmer circuit. The thing you researched is how to convert 10V analog to 5 (or 3.3v) pwm.

In a broad guessing sense most black box drivers are "Apex ready". Generally with a few twists or turns like the off thing.
10v analog can't dim to "off" and some get real weird when you drop the voltage below say 1-2V.
So you also need the plug box (forgot what its called) of the Apex to work in concert.

Dozens of threads on how to do this w/ the simple black boxes. The controlled ones have less information.
Mostly, I assume, is they are already "controlled" so why mess w/ it. You paid for it. :)

Anyways no reason to believe it is anywhere more difficult unless (and contrary to what I said earlier) the board is "all in 1"
Even the reefbreeders board above has seperate modules for drivers and the logic circuits.

Michael Lane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Viparspectra lights are not directly compatible with Apex controllers (well, obviously, since they don't have any kind of control port), but I think it is possible to come up with way to make it work. Apex has an output signal of 0-10v, but the Viparspectra lights work with an on/off signal, and a 3.3v pwm signal for dimming. Something will have to sit in the middle to translate.

1617372683940.png

I think a couple of the easiest approaches would be to just use a microcontroller (like arduino) to sample the apex signal and set pwm and an output. There are also voltage controlled PWM chips that can handle part of it. Another way could be use use a triangle wave and comparators to translate. Each of these would probably also need a voltage divider or some other way to scale the Apex signal down. You could also ignore the On/Off signal if you use a relay to cut power to the entire fixture.

If you want to try it out, I can draw some more specific ideas later.

OP
OP
unchaotic

unchaotic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a couple of the easiest approaches would be to just use a microcontroller (like arduino) to sample the apex signal and set pwm and an output. There are also voltage controlled PWM chips that can handle part of it. Another way could be use use a triangle wave and comparators to translate. Each of these would probably also need a voltage divider or some other way to scale the Apex signal down. You could also ignore the On/Off signal if you use a relay to cut power to the entire fixture.
TBH, I'm not sure how much research I would need to do just to be able to comprehend that paragraph.

But I've pieced together a plan from a couple different threads on here and other forums. I'll try to be thorough with picture taking and post a DIY thread on it if it works. If it doesn't work ... you may never hear me say anything about it again, lol.

Michael Lane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TBH, I'm not sure how much research I would need to do just to be able to comprehend that paragraph.

But I've pieced together a plan from a couple different threads on here and other forums. I'll try to be thorough with picture taking and post a DIY thread on it if it works. If it doesn't work ... you may never hear me say anything about it again, lol.
:) I guess that was a little more stream of consciousness instead of helpful information. I'll probably draw some examples this weekend.

What kind of background do you have for these kinds of projects? Have you done any kind of soldering? Any arduino projects? Have you built anything on a breadboard? Every journey starts with a step, so don't get discouraged.

I got started with electronic when a friend dumped a bunch of LEDs on my desk and asked me to see if I could get them to work on his tank. I had no idea what to do! That was almost 10 years ago, but I've clawed my way forward over the years.

Anyway, don't stop if you hit a problem; there are a lot of helpful people here. Everyone progresses at a different pace. It's all good as long as you are learning, having fun, and your pets are happy and healthy.

hlaalu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you make any progress with this? I believe I have the same unit as you, and since I took down my frag tank I have these lights waiting to be experimented with. Here is the inside, I guess that whole board needs to be replaced/bypassed with something that converts the apex signal?
4B86F93B-BD76-47F5-8CDC-BE53F316CE7D.jpeg
81E74A1E-8870-4290-B156-71D774D6E45C.jpeg

OP
OP
unchaotic

unchaotic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you make any progress with this?

Here is the inside, I guess that whole board needs to be replaced/bypassed with something that converts the apex signal?
I got about 1/2 done and then got distracted adding corals to my FOWLR tank lol. I was taking step by step pictures so I could post what I did ... assuming everything works.

The method I'm using doesn't touch any of the current boards in the light, you actually just cut some wires going to that board and add a Steve's LEDs adapter. I did have to open up the driver boxes but that was just to confirm which wire was which.

So far I've got that adapter wired into the light, now I just need to make a cable to plug the adapter into my Apex and test it. I might make that wire this week but I'll have to see how intensive it is or isn't to test it on the Apex.

hlaalu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, excited to see your progress, and sounds like we will be getting a very detailed how-to soon, so thanks for that! Do you just need 1 of steve's controller? And is it the 2 channel or 4 channel? Figured I'd order it now so when I'm ready to start I have it on hand.

OP
OP
unchaotic

unchaotic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with one of the 4 channel controllers. I figured it's only 5 bucks more and worth having in case I need it. After I get one working I want to get 1 to 3 more going on the same controller.

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I understand these are 5v through the controller, and you cut the one wore but your limited to only get the lights as low as 10% and you still want the timer circut left intact as the controller cant shut on or off lights. These are the same controllers as ocean revive , here is another thread you might find usefull https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/l...revive-t247-bluefish-light-controller.359541/

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't modified my viparspectra lights but there is a thread on Neptune's forum that goes into decent detail. There is also a pdf that I downloaded that has pretty detailed instructions, although I haven't done it yet because I just got my apex. Also I'm not positive that the instructions are the same for me because I have the 300 watt viparspectras.

I'm not sure how to attach a pdf but I would happily email it to anyone who wants it.

EDIT- Hey it looked like it did let me attach the file.

Attachments

• Viparspectra to Apex Control Guide_compressed (1) (1).pdf
    270.3 KB · Views: 211
OP
OP
unchaotic

unchaotic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
EDIT- Hey it looked like it did let me attach the file.
@hlaalu if you can decipher everything in that pdf file I am essentially doing a much more simplified version of it. I'd say having it like that would be my end goal but I'm keeping it simple and I'll try to have step-by-step instructions (and pictures) to make it easier to follow.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@hlaalu if you can decipher everything in that pdf file I am essentially doing a much more simplified version of it. I'd say having it like that would be my end goal but I'm keeping it simple and I'll try to have step-by-step instructions (and pictures) to make it easier to follow.
I'm all for anything that makes it easier to make the viparspectra ramp up and down. I look forward to anything you provide.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you make any progress with this? I believe I have the same unit as you, and since I took down my frag tank I have these lights waiting to be experimented with. Here is the inside, I guess that whole board needs to be replaced/bypassed with something that converts the apex signal?
4B86F93B-BD76-47F5-8CDC-BE53F316CE7D.jpeg
Hmmm.. right side of your board looks a little fried (or an illusion?)
My guess is they are voltage regulators,the 2 3 leg chips that look partially melted from the pic.

Well this won't help much but some nice pics and a bit of analysis:

note the first pic post 1 is the driver internals.. Oddly they state driver is marked 0-10v PWM.
yet the circuit board feeding the driver is -3.3v???

Very confusing.

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back