Cooking Live Rock ?

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You cannot idiot proof the world - if you think that you have, I will just find you a bigger idiot. Should we not use the term "balling method" so that people don't throw golf balls or basketballs in their tanks? What about "reefing?" Too many people probably just going to get a big fat joint and get high. . . .

Well, it does seem pretty obvious to me you cannot idiot proof the world. ;) None of your examples have the medical and research professionals looking at the risks and writing papers discussing the threat to people. Searching "Balling Method Aquarium" doesn't list anything that can be construed as a risk to human health. Searching "Palytoxin Aquarium" on the other hand shows just how concerned people are and consider palytoxin "as an emerging sanitary propblem" Fact is palytoxin is getting attention from health officials and in the last decade legislation at the national level has been introduced several times to identify and regulate all nonative species which pose a risk to people. Using a term that already has contributed to confusion on the part of novices and caused serious injury themsleves and to innocent bystanders doesn't seem smart to me.

OP
OP
mrpizzaface

mrpizzaface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You cannot idiot proof the world - if you think that you have, I will just find you a bigger idiot. Should we not use the term "balling method" so that people don't throw golf balls or basketballs in their tanks? What about "reefing?" Too many people probably just going to get a big fat joint and get high.

You say the term "cooking" so that people can google and find out how to do it - there is tons of information going back decades. Curing is different than cooking - this is what you do with fresh ocean live rock that is going to have some stuff die off that is not suitable for live in captivity. Quarantine is different too - making sure that pests and other things that you do not want are killed or not present. Idiots gonna be idiots on the rest of it.

It can take a few months in a dark bin for most of the nasty fauna and algae to die if the rock is really gross. The coralline, sponges and pods do come back. LC does work MUCH better than water changes since it can bind so much more - you have to remove the flocculant with skimmer or a small micron sock. Don't let the P get to absolute zero - the microfauna still need a tiny bit to build and repair tissue and also to multiply if needed.

If you have one rock that looks good with some sponges and nice coralline, then put it under some light and/or in a tank and that is more than enough to seed the rest later on.
what number should I be targeting for phosphate?

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5 ppb would be OK. It is easy to get it down in a tub - much harder in a tank with corals.

Let it sit for a week in between the last few treatments - it can take a while for the P deep in the rock to make it's way out.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back