Cooper32803's Frag Tank

Cooper32803

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here is the first pic of my setup that is still a work in progress. Right now there is the rack held up by four PVC 3" couplers, an acrylic magnetic frag rack on the left side, a Koralia 725 gph powerhead on the right side and a Fluval C4 HOB filter to remove detrius and provide some multi-stage filtration. Tomorrow I will be picking up a Reef Octopus BH-1000 HOB skimmer as well. I am also ordering another powerhead for under the rack so probably something a little smaller, maybe around 425 gph or so... Let me know what you think! :)

frag tank.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks like it's gonna be a good one. :D

The only feedback I have it that I would cut that egg crate in half or onto 4 sections. It's almost impossible and a pain in the butt to get to frags that fall through the egg crate when you have one full piece of egg crate in the tank.

OP
OP
Cooper32803

Cooper32803

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats a good idea. I was thinking of cutting it somehow to be able to move the rack for cleaning anything on the bottom but wasn't sure how I should actually do it. So if I get two more couplers and put them in the middle front and middle back, I should cut out one or two rows of the eggcrate in the middle?

OP
OP
Cooper32803

Cooper32803

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will be a 36" 6 Bulb T5 fixture that I plan on taking out the stock bulbs and replacing with ATI bulbs. 4 Blue +, 1 Purple and 1 Aquablue +...

OP
OP
Cooper32803

Cooper32803

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picture update time!! Chiller has been installed as well as a Reef Octopus BH1000 skimmer. Lights should be here at the beginning of next week, but I couldnt wait to get it wet so it has water and some live rock to get the cycle going... Yay!! Any advice or comments is appreciated!

Frag tank1.jpg

BarbH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking real nice, congrats on getting your frag tank going will be following along :D

OP
OP
Cooper32803

Cooper32803

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Barb! I definitely felt like it was needed because my poor biocube is packed with coral frags (I just cant say no if I find something I like lol) I made the joke that I am like a crazy Disney pin collector but with corals (If you have hever been to Disney, you will get the reference). So the frag tank was definitely a good decision for me. Plus I want to get into fragging and trading and what not so another good reason for the tank :) I cant wait til the lights get here so I can get a better look at whats going on in there as my garage lights arent very bright. I also ended up buying all ATI lights for the frag tank so it should keep them all happy :bigsmile:

OP
OP
Cooper32803

Cooper32803

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and I was talking to the manager at my LFS and She gave me the great idea of putting another tank on the bottom and I could build a sump tank next to it and run the cooler and skimmer through the sump and double my frag station... Am I going crazy thinking that its a good idea?? LOL

OP
OP
Cooper32803

Cooper32803

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will post pics as it progresses... Definitely after I get my lights and ATI bulbs.. Just gotta deal with the not so great iPhone pics for now... :)

OP
OP
Cooper32803

Cooper32803

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep. It's official... I have gone bonkers! I went to petco today and bought another 40g breeder for the bottom of my tank stand and a 29g to use as a sump for both tanks so I can work my chiller and my protein skimmer off the sump. It will be a while until I get the lights for this tank so I am in no rush to get it all set up, but it should be a pretty sweet frag/growout system when it is completed... At least I think so anyways :bounce:Oh and I bought a new camera today so better pics should be coming soon if I can figure out how to use this thing... LOL

BarbH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep I would say that the bug has bit you pretty bad and definitly have a case of MTS (multiple tank syndrome) :D Look forward to seeing the progress on everything. What type of camera did you end up getting?

OP
OP
Cooper32803

Cooper32803

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up getting a Nikon D3100... Now I just have to figure out how to use it LOL... I have tried to no avail of getting nice clear pictures of corals under actinic lighting... Looks like I am going to have to read up on the photography forum to figure it out..

As for the multiple tank syndrome... Yep I agree. But at least It isnt as bad since I can run the filtration and chiller for both tanks in the sump when I get it all figured out. So all I really have to buy for it is lighting, but as I dont have the money for that yet (after buying said tanks and camera), that will wait, plus I dont even have frags in the first one yet, so when that one fills up then it will be a priority. Now to find a display tank for the frags I will be growing out to occupy LOL

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.7%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 17.1%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 77 42.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back