Copper Band Butterfly in a Reef

NeuroticAquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found a Copperband Butterfly at a LFS today that was aggressively eating and looked very healthy. Will these go after zoas/Palys or LPS?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm usually pretty cautious about adding fish that are risky with corals. Copperbands are quite safe. There are rare cases that copperbands will pick at food from acans, then develop a taste for acans, but those are rare cases.

ryansweatt2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only issue I've ever had with a copperband is picking at clam mantles. Other than that they've all been completely reef safe once they've started eating. Getting them to eat is the challenge though.

1MJG1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a new one for about a month. Feed it everything from fresh scallops to clams...only thing I ever saw it eat was my scans feeding tentacles. Which turned into eating acans only. Good luck! like he said hit or miss

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been keeping copperbands continuously since the 70s and have yet to have one eat anything other than what I feed it. I am sure some people have had problem with them. But I have yet to see it.

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clams mine went for a new clam within minutes had to relocate the clam. I have poor luck with clams anyway so no big deal for me. Tons of polyps and acans etc in my tanks no issues with those.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing mine eats that I don't feed it is feather dusters. Other than that he's a model citizen and a great addition to my tank.

patsheridan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only problem I had with my Copperband was him cozying up with my carpet Anem - woke up to a half eaten fish . . . :eek:.

OP
OP
NeuroticAquatics

NeuroticAquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm doing a little happy dance right now. I found out that one of my LFS sells black worms, so I bought a portion. The CBB ignored them up until just now. He's eating them like they are candy! He had been ignoring everything else up to this point.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My copperband is my biggest eater by far. Here is a video of him when he was young eating blackworms which he gets every day with clams. He's almost twice as large now

OP
OP
NeuroticAquatics

NeuroticAquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was happy to find that one of my LFS actually had blackworms. I have considered ordering them many times but did not want to get big quantities. This is ideal now. I also fed my 60g and 240g and my Magnificent Foxface is spooked by the worms. He will look at them and if the move, he darts off.

tj w

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish my lfs offered them as well. I've considered ordering online from Cali. Congrats on getting him to eat. Paul, as always great pic and thanks for sharing.

OP
OP
NeuroticAquatics

NeuroticAquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, my fingers are crossed. I got some black worms at my LFS and this CBB was eating them like candy. I went back this weekend and they are out and do not plan to get more until after summer when it cools down. Apparently they were losing about half of every batch upon arrival. I tried brine, mysis, bloodworms and even slivers of shrimp and it totally ignored them. I'm playing the odds now and put it into my 240g FOWLR (which will end up with some corals). I figure there is some apatasia and stuff like pods. I'm hoping it does okay.

OP
OP
NeuroticAquatics

NeuroticAquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried frozen bloodworms, mysis and brine. No luck.

The addition to my 240g went poorly. My Tang and Magnificent Foxface, which have both been very mellow, went after it with a vengeance. Both were chasing him relentlessly. I was able to net it and decided to try my 60g reef for now. So far, so good a few minutes in...

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 174 68.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.3%
Back