Copper Medication

puccie1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any difference or is one better than the other between Fritz Copper & Copper power? I have used copper power several times and the problem keeps coming back in month or two Ick I believe no one can tell me for sure but it appears to be a form of ick! Thanks for any input or other medication I can use in a fish only tank 600 gallons. This is getting tiresome going on 3 years fighting this problem(parasite).
Thanks

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any difference or is one better than the other between Fritz Copper & Copper power? I have used copper power several times and the problem keeps coming back in month or two Ick I believe no one can tell me for sure but it appears to be a form of ick! Thanks for any input or other medication I can use in a fish only tank 600 gallons. This is getting tiresome going on 3 years fighting this problem(parasite).
Thanks
What is your treatment process? And how are you checking your copper levels?

OP
OP
P

puccie1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your treatment process? And how are you checking your copper levels?
Hanna checker 30 days at 2.50 I been through this several times in the last year was wondering by changing to Fritz might be the secret to killing the parasite finally different company and copper?.

djs4him

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hanna checker 30 days at 2.50 I been through this several times in the last year was wondering by changing to Fritz might be the secret to killing the parasite finally different company and copper?.
I mean .. if it's truly been going on this long, perhaps it's not truly ick after all. Perhaps you need a new diagnosis instead of a new treatment. Just a thought.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It shouldn't make a difference.

If it is ich or some other ectoparasite -- and we don't know if it is at this point -- you may be reintroducing it from some other source. Other questions:

Are you sure that you've removed all fish from your display?

Are you keeping your display fallow? It really should remain fallow for a period of 45 to 72(76) days before you reintroduce fish. Many people treat their fish in a hospital tank with copper for 30 days, followed by hypo or observation for a further period of time.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Thanks
Copper power and coppersafe are literally the same and MUST BE treated at therapeutic level 2.25-2.5 for a FULL 30 days and monitored by a reliable copper test kit such as Hanna brand- no api and ammonia level also monitored by reliable test kit
The display tank also needs to be fishless (fallow) for 6-8 weeks to allow trophants to be without a host fish and die off
If you did anything differently, will explain their ability to return

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What temperature are you running the QT? It should be at 81F

OP
OP
P

puccie1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper power and coppersafe are literally the same and MUST BE treated at therapeutic level 2.25-2.5 for a FULL 30 days and monitored by a reliable copper test kit such as Hanna brand- no api and ammonia level also monitored by reliable test kit
The display tank also needs to be fishless (fallow) for 6-8 weeks to allow trophants to be without a host fish and die off
If you did anything differently, will explain their ability to return
Well that's impossible to run the tank fishless its 600 gallons and some fish are 16 " big and over 20 fish. So its impossible to have the tank fishless
any other ideas would be greatly appreciated Thanks

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that's impossible to run the tank fishes its 600 gallons and some fish are 16 " big and over 20. So its impossible to have the tank fishes any other ideas would be greatly appreciated Thanks

I think he meant pulling the fish to treat with copper (since most tanks now days have invertebrates in them). You're adding copper to you main tank, right? I know I've worked on your case in the past, but I can't recall the details.

Coppersafe and Copper Power are essentially the same. Like the others said, I would concentrate on biosecurity, and if the disease is actually ich or not.

Have you tried 35 days of hyposalinity?

Jay

OP
OP
P

puccie1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning Jay how you been, yes I tried hypo several times and copper also and I mean actually been battling this parasite for 3 years. I've done everything correctly measuring copper everyday with the hanna test, Im lost really and tired fighting this is there any other meds out there or ideas, Thanks for all the time you put into this. Its only fish but I have gem tangs and expensive butterflies I afraid of hurting with meds, Thanks

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning Jay how you been, yes I tried hypo several times and copper also and I mean actually been battling this parasite for 3 years. I've done everything correctly measuring copper everyday with the hanna test, Im lost really and tired fighting this is there any other meds out there or ideas, Thanks for all the time you put into this. Its only fish but I have gem tangs and expensive butterflies I afraid of hurting with meds, Thanks

Do you have an inexpensive fish that is showing symptoms and could be caught up? You might try a skin scrape and look at it under a microscope. That might not tell you what the issue is, but you should be able to rule some things out.

Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once copper treatment is over tank is good for a month or 2 then it returns!

I've often taken coppersafe for up to 45 days, and in one case, six months. Have you gone that long yet?

Jay

benmed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean .. if it's truly been going on this long, perhaps it's not truly ick after all. Perhaps you need a new diagnosis instead of a new treatment. Just a thought.

These things suck. Sounds like you are doing the copper part right. Just need to figure out where things are not going right. Seems to me that:

Either:
1. Wrong diagnosis
2. There is a reservoir of parasite that is not getting treated

Given that they continue to return about a month or two later, this probably most consistent with like an untreated reservoir

OP
OP
P

puccie1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have an inexpensive fish that is showing symptoms and could be caught up? You might try a skin scrape and look at it under a microscope. That might not tell you what the issue is, but you should be able to rule some things out.

Jay
Sadly enough no on inexpensive and I wouldn’t know what to look for or what I’m seeing under microscope thanks though

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly enough no on inexpensive and I wouldn’t know what to look for or what I’m seeing under microscope thanks though
Read the following link. It may help.

OP
OP
P

puccie1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Read the following link. It may help.

Any ideas for cure

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Read all the way to the bottom of that thread. It talks about in tank dosing of H2O2
I like how your thinking coming up with new ideas but since the copper does clear the parasite for 1-2 month would this not rule this out? I have not read the article..

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like how your thinking coming up with new ideas but since the copper does clear the parasite for 1-2 month would this not rule this out? I have not read the article..
Right so I assumed the diagnosis of ich was correct in the first place…., that’s why it reminded me this copper resistant ich thread I’ve read from humble fish sometime ago.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 25.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 48 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 13 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.8%
Back