Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

solitude127

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When doing the color comparison on my API copper test kit, what light should I be looking under? On my work bench, it looks like one color and in indirect sunlight, it's a different color

JMM744

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So is the chemetrics test system a no go for coppersafe after all? Just started coppersafe tonight for a qt with 5 butterflies that have developed velvet. Started a dose of 10 ml. in a 40 breeder. Will add another 10 ml. in the am. Only have the chemetrics test kit.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So is the chemetrics test system a no go for coppersafe after all? Just started coppersafe tonight for a qt with 5 butterflies that have developed velvet. Started a dose of 10 ml. in a 40 breeder. Will add another 10 ml. in the am. Only have the chemetrics test kit.

It technically works, but there are reports of it being inaccurate.

It is looking more & more like this Hanna checker is going to be the godsend we’ve been waiting for: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/c...instruments-high-range-copper-checker.368943/

JMM744

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. I was one of the guys who invested in cp from eBay. I went ahead and dosed for that and am slowly adding copper over 24 hours. I will try to find a api test kit and maybe return the chemetrics kit. Will watch for the Hanna checker once available. I do appreciate the willingness of those in the know sharing the knowledge and experiences here. It’s frustrating enough treating fish with help, can’t imagine going it alone .
Oh yeah, Happy Easter.

Sonam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what it's worth when we had to run copper in our QT for an outbreak of Velvet we found the salifert test kit is not precise enough to dose cupramine. The range was too broad to ensure a proper therapeutic level.
I'm no expert by any means. This is just my experience.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish @HotRocks @Brew12 I realize you suggest API testkit with Copper Power, but will salifert work accurately as well?

The salifert test will not read heavily chelated coppers such as copper safe and copper power accurately.

You need chemetrics, hach, API, or preferred would now be the Hanna high range copper checker since it's less expensive than chemetrics and hach which are "more accurate" visual methods than the API kit.

evmibo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The salifert test will not read heavily chelated coppers such as copper safe and copper power accurately.

You need chemetrics, hach, API, or preferred would now be the Hanna high range copper checker since it's less expensive than chemetrics and hach which are "more accurate" visual methods than the API kit.

Thanks, asking for a friend who only had a salifert kit. I’m getting a hanna checker so I’ll be sending him my API testkit.

LovesDogs_CatsRokay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It says the therapeutic range for copper safe is 1.5 to 2.0. Is it better to keep it closer to one end of the range or the other? or should I shoot for the middle at 1.75? I'm treating a fairy and a flasher wrasse. Since they can be sensitive should I try to stay closer to 1.5? I'm going to the using the hanna checker.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It says the therapeutic range for copper safe is 1.5 to 2.0. Is it better to keep it closer to one end of the range or the other? or should I shoot for the middle at 1.75? I'm treating a fairy and a flasher wrasse. Since they can be sensitive should I try to stay closer to 1.5? I'm going to the using the hanna checker.
Aiming for 1.75ppm is a good place to be. Safely above the minimum, but not too high for sensitive fish. I have treated several wrasses at this level without an issue. Specifically two moyeri leopards, a Bluestar leopard, meleagris leopard, halichores and fairy Wrasse.

For what it's worth I was using copper power not coppersafe.

Mixing lighting technologies: Do you use multiple types of lighting for your reef?

• I currently use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 12 52.2%
  • I have used multiple types of lighting for my reef in the past.

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • I haven’t used multiple types of lighting for my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • I have no plans to use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back