Copper test kits

Discussion in 'Fish Disease Treatment and Diagnosis' started by Humblefish, Jul 20, 2016.

1. Brew12

Brew12 Electrical Gru Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Partner Member 2019 Reef Tank 365 Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor North Alabama Reef Club

Then use Coppersafe with the API test kit.

2. Sobo's Reef

Sobo's Reef Valuable Member

Okay thank you so much!

Brew12 likes this.
  3. Brew12

Brew12 Electrical Gru Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Partner Member 2019 Reef Tank 365 Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor North Alabama Reef Club

Glad to help. And Good Luck!!!

4. Sobo's Reef

Thanks. I’m gonna need it unfortunately. Never had Velvet so now I have to look up how to dose. I’m making a list of all the things I need to get this process going tomorrow

5. Brew12

Lots of great info in here.
    https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/velvet-amyloodinium-ocellatum.217570/

And feel free to start a new thread in the fish disease section if you need more help.

6. Sobo's Reef

Okay thanks again!!

Brew12 likes this.
  7. solitude127

solitude127 Well-Known Member R2R Supporter

When doing the color comparison on my API copper test kit, what light should I be looking under? On my work bench, it looks like one color and in indirect sunlight, it's a different color

dwwataz likes this.
  8. Humblefish

Humblefish Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Expert Contributor Moderator Emeritus

Outside, under indirect sunlight.

dwwataz and solitude127 like this.
  9. JMM744

JMM744 Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Partner Member 2019 Build Thread Contributor

So is the chemetrics test system a no go for coppersafe after all? Just started coppersafe tonight for a qt with 5 butterflies that have developed velvet. Started a dose of 10 ml. in a 40 breeder. Will add another 10 ml. in the am. Only have the chemetrics test kit.

10. Humblefish

Humblefish Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Expert Contributor Moderator Emeritus

It technically works, but there are reports of it being inaccurate.

It is looking more & more like this Hanna checker is going to be the godsend we’ve been waiting for: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/c...instruments-high-range-copper-checker.368943/

11. JMM744

JMM744 Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Partner Member 2019 Build Thread Contributor

Ok. I was one of the guys who invested in cp from eBay. I went ahead and dosed for that and am slowly adding copper over 24 hours. I will try to find a api test kit and maybe return the chemetrics kit. Will watch for the Hanna checker once available. I do appreciate the willingness of those in the know sharing the knowledge and experiences here. It’s frustrating enough treating fish with help, can’t imagine going it alone .
    Oh yeah, Happy Easter.

HotRocks and Humblefish like this.
  12. Brew12

@Humblefish

Can you edit the original post to include the Hanna copper test kit?

HotRocks likes this.
  13. Humblefish

Will do. :)

HotRocks and Brew12 like this.
  14. evmibo

evmibo Active Member

15. Sonam

Sonam Active Member

For what it's worth when we had to run copper in our QT for an outbreak of Velvet we found the salifert test kit is not precise enough to dose cupramine. The range was too broad to ensure a proper therapeutic level.
    I'm no expert by any means. This is just my experience.

16. HotRocks

HotRocks Fish Fanatic! Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 Reef Tank 365 Article Contributor Expert Contributor Build Thread Contributor

The salifert test will not read heavily chelated coppers such as copper safe and copper power accurately.

You need chemetrics, hach, API, or preferred would now be the Hanna high range copper checker since it's less expensive than chemetrics and hach which are "more accurate" visual methods than the API kit.

Humblefish and evmibo like this.
  17. evmibo

evmibo Active Member

Thanks, asking for a friend who only had a salifert kit. I’m getting a hanna checker so I’ll be sending him my API testkit.

HotRocks likes this.
  18. LovesDogs_CatsRokay

LovesDogs_CatsRokay Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

It says the therapeutic range for copper safe is 1.5 to 2.0. Is it better to keep it closer to one end of the range or the other? or should I shoot for the middle at 1.75? I'm treating a fairy and a flasher wrasse. Since they can be sensitive should I try to stay closer to 1.5? I'm going to the using the hanna checker.

19. HotRocks

HotRocks Fish Fanatic! Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 Reef Tank 365 Article Contributor Expert Contributor Build Thread Contributor

Aiming for 1.75ppm is a good place to be. Safely above the minimum, but not too high for sensitive fish. I have treated several wrasses at this level without an issue. Specifically two moyeri leopards, a Bluestar leopard, meleagris leopard, halichores and fairy Wrasse.

For what it's worth I was using copper power not coppersafe.

20. Humblefish

^^ Agree with @HotRocks; 1.75ppm is a happy medium when treating with chelated copper.

LovesDogs_CatsRokay and HotRocks like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted