Copper test kits

Discussion in 'Fish Disease Treatment and Diagnosis' started by Humblefish, Jul 20, 2016.

1. chicago

chicago Well-Known Member

i have some wrasses and a clarion angel in 1.99 and they are eating and doing well.. Nice to have the Hana .. it is for a sure a game changer..

dwest likes this.

2. HotRocks

HotRocks Fish Fanatic! Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 Reef Tank 365 Article Contributor Expert Contributor Build Thread Contributor

Agree! loving it!

3. Balz3352

Balz3352 Active Member

Using coppersafe and api. What level would you give this. [​IMG]

4. solitude127

solitude127 Well-Known Member R2R Supporter

Really hard to tell because the camera might capture a different color. Also API test color should be determined in indirect sunlight

dwest likes this.
  5. dwest

dwest Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award

It’s been a while since I used api, but aren’t you supposed to look from the top of the tube through the bottom?

Humblefish likes this.
  6. Humblefish

Humblefish Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Expert Contributor Moderator Emeritus

^^ Yes, with the white part of the card on the bottom.

HotRocks likes this.
  7. dwest

Honored.... I am a big fan of yours!

Humblefish and 4FordFamily like this.
  8. Balz3352

Balz3352 Active Member

Well shoot. Shows how mich I read directions. Im just gonna buy a hanna and take the guessing out of it.

HotRocks, Humblefish and dwest like this.
  9. dwest

Been using my Hanna for the past few weeks. You will be happy.

10. SeaJay

SeaJay Active Member

I got my Hanna Copper Checker on Wednesday. I will never use anything else again. Everything you may have read about how terrible the API copper test kit is, is an understatement. I lost a cinnamon clown, and have another fish struggling to recover from a copper overdose due to using the API kit & this being my first foray into copper treatment. Unfortunately it was all my LFS had on hand and I had to get treatment started.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
    Hanna Instruments and dwest like this.
  11. mjreefs

mjreefs Active Member

Hi. I got my Hanna Checker recently and I tested for copper in my QT. At first it read at 0.32 then a second test immediately after revealed it to be at 0.25. Is it safe to assume that I have a copper level of around 0.27-0.3? Using Cupramine btw

12. Brew12

Brew12 Electrical Gru Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Partner Member 2019 Reef Tank 365 Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor North Alabama Reef Club

Probably, but I normally don't see that big of a fluctuation with my copper checker. Are you sure you are getting it very clean and have the 10ml mark facing forward each time?

HotRocks likes this.
  13. HotRocks

HotRocks Fish Fanatic! Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 Reef Tank 365 Article Contributor Expert Contributor Build Thread Contributor

+1 also make sure you get ALL of the reagent into the cuvette.

There is a slight learning curve when you start using the checker.

14. bigcheese

bigcheese Member

I know I'm replying to a year-old post and know precisely zilch about aquariums compared to @Humblefish, but I do know my chemistry.
    TL;DR: Notice the concave shape where the water curves up toward the sides of the glass and droops in the middle... it's called the meniscus. When you read a test tube (or graduated cylinder / pipette / etc.) you read it at the bottom of the meniscus*, not the top.

I verified the API tubes have the white line printed so the top corresponds with the marked graduation, so the bottom of the meniscus should just touch the white line for a precise measure. @solitude127's pic is spot on 5mL.
    Hopefully someone reading this thread a year from now can find this useful.

*Super Nerd Stuff: There are some liquids that make a convex meniscus, mercury thermometers being one example. It's 'more scientifically rigorous' to state that you'd read the center of the meniscus, but we're all looking at water here. Also of note is TDS and temperature have an effect on the surface tension, which causes the meniscus to differ in height... lab grade equipment is often specifically graduated for certain temperature ranges or chemicals because of this. Fortunately, it's so minimal of a difference between SW and RODI or 60F and 80F that it's dwarfed by the (in)accuracy of any test kit we can get our hands on.

solitude127 and evmibo like this.
  15. bigcheese

bigcheese Member

Edit.. no idea why that posted twice.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
  16. gobble

gobble Active Member

Why do you say the Seachem kit won't work for Copper Power? The kit says it works on chelated copper and my first measurement at 1.0 seemed accurate.

I don't want to kill my gem tang so if I need a Hanna checker I'll go buy it. But isn't my seachem kit ok?

17. 4FordFamily

4FordFamily Tang, Angel, & Wrasse Addict Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 Article Contributor Expert Contributor Hospitality Award Build Thread Contributor

All of the color kits are pretty inaccurate. Seachem kit is specifically designed to be more accurate for cupramine, their copper product. This is ionic copper with a useful range below 1.0.

In truth none of those kits come close to a Hanna checker and I’d highly recommend it for all copper.

dwest likes this.
  18. JMM744

JMM744 Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Partner Member 2019 Build Thread Contributor

This is so true. It’s an investment in a much more accurate tool. I tried the way you are doing it but my readings were way off. Actually higher then was necessary. My last qt I ran at 1.85 give or take .05 and was easily able to hold that with the Hanna tester. On the 3 rd. day I dropped to 1.52 which I could have never read with another tester.
    Hope your gem tank sails thru the qt process. Beautiful fish.

19. gobble

gobble Active Member

Order a Hanna Checker from BRS today. Thanks.

20. gobble

gobble Active Member

The spots are on my glass, not the fish.

IMG_0803.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted