Copper treatment

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can do WCs as much as necessary. I don't usually have to perform any during copper unless I am combining antibiotics.

ReefWithCare

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish, what's the fastest you can go to 1.5PPM Copper Power if you have an emergency situation like Velvet? Trying to help a friend not on this site. They FW Dipped and Rally and at 1.1PPM copper right now.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish, what's the fastest you can go to 1.5PPM Copper Power if you have an emergency situation like Velvet? Trying to help a friend not on this site. They FW Dipped and Rally and at 1.1PPM copper right now.

48 hrs; dose gradually (every few hours if possible) to bring it up to 1.5ppm

Nem0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If i'm doing the 14 days in QT with copper, then transferring to a 2nd sterile QT, how long does the fish need to be in the 2nd QT tank for?

RegalAngel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since copper treatments can be adsorbed into various filter media as well as sand, rocks in the tank....when setting up a clean QT without sand or rocks and no biofilter...except a HOB skimmer....how to treat for ammonia buildup?
Q. Are any of the copper treatments ok with Amquel or Prime?

I have a 40g water QT but have a outside power filter (ocean clear canister) and of course with the filter media it will adsorb the copper.....so if I remove the filter media with no sand/rocks...then ammonia will rise.....will prime or amquel work with one of the copper treatments???

RegalAngel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since copper treatments can be adsorbed into various filter media as well as sand, rocks in the tank....when setting up a clean QT without sand or rocks and no biofilter...except a HOB skimmer....how to treat for ammonia buildup?
Q. Are any of the copper treatments ok with Amquel or Prime?

I have a 40g water QT but have a outside power filter (ocean clear canister) and of course with the filter media it will adsorb the copper.....so if I remove the filter media with no sand/rocks...then ammonia will rise.....will prime or amquel work with one of the copper treatments???

Evidently....YES!

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bump.gif

The original post of this thread has been updated with new information.

bzb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally signed up for this site after lurking for a long time. Thanks for all the information and great documentation!

@Humblefish - on your website you say Prime is bad juju with Copper Power. A few posts up, seems like it's OK...

I'm transferring my DT remaining fish from what is probably a velvet outbreak into a 10G QT tank. Unfortunately, I'll be traveling for 5 days next week while I believe they'll be at the riskiest part in the QT, so I'll have to leave my wife with some instructions. Instead of having her try to fumble with a water change and figure all that out, I'd like to just leave her with a dose or two of Prime in case the ammonia badge goes off.

Current plan:
QT started today, HOB and small (20gph) powerhead, heater. Holding at 1.023 and HOB has ceramic media in it. Dosed with BioSpira. 9Gal is in the tank.

Tomorrow dose Copper Power to 1ppm (approximately 5.5mL). Test with Hanna.

Give three fish (all very small juveniles, two clowns and one chromis) 5 min freshwater bath, then 60 min Rally bath.

Place in QT, raising to 1.5ppm copper over next two days, then 2ppm over following two days. Then I'll have two days to monitor and adjust as needed before I leave.

Thoughts?

bzb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally signed up for this site after lurking for a long time. Thanks for all the information and great documentation!

@Humblefish - on your website you say Prime is bad juju with Copper Power. A few posts up, seems like it's OK...

I'm transferring my DT remaining fish from what is probably a velvet outbreak into a 10G QT tank. Unfortunately, I'll be traveling for 5 days next week while I believe they'll be at the riskiest part in the QT, so I'll have to leave my wife with some instructions. Instead of having her try to fumble with a water change and figure all that out, I'd like to just leave her with a dose or two of Prime in case the ammonia badge goes off.

Current plan:
QT started today, HOB and small (20gph) powerhead, heater. Holding at 1.023 and HOB has ceramic media in it. Dosed with BioSpira. 9Gal is in the tank.

Tomorrow dose Copper Power to 1ppm (approximately 5.5mL). Test with Hanna.

Give three fish (all very small juveniles, two clowns and one chromis) 5 min freshwater bath, then 60 min Rally bath.

Place in QT, raising to 1.5ppm copper over next two days, then 2ppm over following two days. Then I'll have two days to monitor and adjust as needed before I leave.

Thoughts?

And if I had actually clicked the link, I would have seen that you were the one who confirmed Prime is ok. Sorry!

ReefLab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regarding the 15 day transfer into a new QT. If treating prophilacticaly, would that transfer be acceptable right into the DT? Possible to transfer through two buckets of clean SW before putting into the DT to ensure no copper or parasites are being transferred.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regarding the 15 day transfer into a new QT. If treating prophilacticaly, would that transfer be acceptable right into the DT? Possible to transfer through two buckets of clean SW before putting into the DT to ensure no copper or parasites are being transferred.

I don't advise that because something might have been missed. No QT protocol is 100% foolproof. It's better to observe for at least 2 weeks in a non-medicated holding tank.

ReefLab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't advise that because something might have been missed. No QT protocol is 100% foolproof. It's better to observe for at least 2 weeks in a non-medicated holding tank.
I observed the fish for a week before treating and didn’t notice signs of stress or ich. I’m not an expert so I decided to treat with copper to be sure.. i Was thinking of going to 20 days of treatment before transferring to DT to give a few extra days for any ich to drop off

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I observed the fish for a week before treating and didn’t notice signs of stress or ich. I’m not an expert so I decided to treat with copper to be sure.. i Was thinking of going to 20 days of treatment before transferring to DT to give a few extra days for any ich to drop off

Have you dewormed (using Prazipro or General Cure)?

ReefLab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you dewormed (using Prazipro or General Cure)?

thanks for entertaining my questions

no I didnt and I wasn’t necessarily planning on it. My reasoning is the antibiotics can take a toll on their flora and I didn’t want an opportunistic pathogen to emerge from the treatment.. I’m not committed to not deworming but I’d like to ensure it doesn’t do harm to (seemingly to me) healthy fish

AllSignsPointToFish

"No Longer The Guy Without FaceBook"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had good luck with carbon removing cupramine, but it is much less effective at removing other forms of copper. You can perform a water change and use a copper sponge like cuprisorb to remove residual amounts.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 32 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%

Back