Copper

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
One things that comes to mind for me is Toxins. In a mix reef setting, both LPS and SPS compete for nutrients and also release toxins. These toxins are very real though. It's known as allelopathy. Keeping a good distance between corals, and not placing stony corals directly down stream from softies is a good idea. Skimming, activated carbon, and water changes all seem to help reduce these toxic substances.
Good quality carbon such as chemipure will adsorb a lot of these organic compounds, and filter floss and socks really need changing a lot more frequently than most casual reefers do with a mixed reef setting.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s why I asked you here. Thanks for the reply. I know more about corals and nems than fish.

The question becomes what action. I am thinking it got better with a water change. Do more water changes and skim wet. But then cipro comes to mind. I have treated numerous coral with it, just not fish or inverts.
Water changes and wet skimming would be what I would suggest - that can even help with bacterial issues (water changes by diluting and wet skimming by exporting bacteria directly).

I don't have any in tank constant bath doses for Cipro, just as a dip....

Jay

OP
OP
sde1500

sde1500

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I run carbon 24/7 since it’s a mixed reef. Skim constantly as well. Will need to clean it up and see if the pump restarts. Stopped it for maybe a an hour and didn’t restart. Never just one thing... I’ve read positive results on tissue loss from witch hazel so I’ll try dosing that. Cipro would be tough as a full tank dose I’d imagine.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I run carbon 24/7 since it’s a mixed reef. Skim constantly as well. Will need to clean it up and see if the pump restarts. Stopped it for maybe a an hour and didn’t restart. Never just one thing... I’ve read positive results on tissue loss from witch hazel so I’ll try dosing that. Cipro would be tough as a full tank dose I’d imagine.
For lps and brown jelly I do .125 mg per liter of tank water. For sps and rtn, it is .250 mg per liter. This was all done in frag tanks and not a full reef tank. There is rock and such in the sump, mollies, snails and hermits for algae control. Nothing was ever affected during 7 days of dosing. But full blown reef, I have no idea.

I think the best course is water changes, carbon and wet skimming. I have never used witch hazel in a reef tank, so cannot advise on that.

OP
OP
sde1500

sde1500

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks that’s helpful! Just found this as well. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/e...ic-treatments-for-brown-jelly-disease.782438/

I’m a kitchen sink approach type. Rather throw everything at it, see what sticks. So water changes can keep going, I’ll get the skimmer going wet wet, and just ordered some cipro. New rodi filters coming, new batteries for the dead TDS meter (), plus some ICP test kits. Almost tempted to try getting a test or two done from aqua biomes but probably won’t go that far.
My 3 yr old calls the bleeding Apple scolymia his coral, much to my chagrin. So to risk losing that when I was just about to set him up a tank would be the worst.

OP
OP
sde1500

sde1500

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well things may have stabilized. Did a near 50% WC the day of the post. This morning did my second dose of cipro. Tang has completely cleared up. Torch is improving. Acan, blasts, and scoly have stabilized. Still look like crap but not worsening. Will do a few more rounds of medication. May give the suffering corals, that I can remove, an iodine bath. May just let them be, well see. I’ll get an ICP sent out, as I had planned to start using them anyway but def seems to have been something bacterial.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 76 51.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 76 51.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 37 24.8%
  • None.

Votes: 33 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.0%
Back